IU football head coach Tom Allen signs 7-year contract

spiufbbrief120619.jpg

IU’s athletic director Fred Glass announced Friday morning that football coach Tom Allen has agreed to terms on a new seven-year contract of $27.3 million.

Over Allen’s first three years as head coach, his 18 wins is the most in program history with the second highest only winning 14 games over a three-year stretch.

In his third season as head coach, Allen has led the Hoosiers to eight wins — their best season since 1993 — and has a chance to tie the program record of nine wins with a victory in IU’s upcoming bowl game.

"When I hired Tom to be our head football coach I said I was doing so because he is a leader of men who is demanding without being demeaning, and a proven, successful coach on a national scale with deep Indiana ties who cares about his players, and they care back," Glass said in an IU Athletics press release. “In his three seasons he has proven to be all of that and more which is why I believe the future of Indiana Football is in great hands.”

Allen’s new annual salary of $3.9 million makes him the highest-paid employee at IU and moves Allen up from being the lowest-paid head coach in the Big Ten to the 11th highest in the conference.

“I am humbled and thankful that President McRobbie and Mr. Glass continue to believe in our staff and the winning culture that we are creating,” Allen said in a statement from IU Athletics. “I was born a Hoosier, raised a Hoosier and I am thrilled with the opportunity to remain a Hoosier for a long, long time to come.”