Flooding possible in Bloomington starting this weekend

<p>A man drives an IU-branded utility vehicle Feb. 7, 2019, through a flooded Forest Avenue. With warmer temperatures projected, it is likely that Bloomington could experience flooding due to melting snow this week. </p>

A man drives an IU-branded utility vehicle Feb. 7, 2019, through a flooded Forest Avenue. With warmer temperatures projected, it is likely that Bloomington could experience flooding due to melting snow this week.

Heavy snowfall and higher temperatures could lead to flooding starting this weekend, according to a Friday City of Bloomington press release. 

According to the press release, snow melting is likely because of expected temperature increases. Residents are encouraged to clear storm drains of snow, ice accumulation and other debris so the snow melt can flow into the drains to help prevent flooding. 

Bloomington received nearly 7 inches of snow during last week's winter storm. 

Temperatures are expected to remain fairly consistent throughout this week with a 45 degree high Sunday. According to The Weather Channel, the highest temperature expected in Bloomington is 49 degrees on Wednesday and the lowest is 38 degrees on Monday.

City of Bloomington Utilities is also offering an Adopt-a-Drain volunteer program, which allows residents to maintain one of 12,000 storm drains in the city. 

Program duties include inspecting storm drains regularly, clearing them when needed and submitting quarterly reports to Adopt-a-Drain. 

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments