Light snow, below-zero wind chills possible in Bloomington through Saturday

<p>Snow flurries fall near the Sample Gates on Monday. A winter weather advisory was put into place for South Central Indiana on Thursday. </p>

Snow flurries fall near the Sample Gates on Monday. A winter weather advisory was put into place for South Central Indiana on Thursday.

Following this week’s winter storm — during which Bloomington received about 7 inches of snow — a winter weather advisory and hazardous weather outlook was put in effect Thursday for South Central Indiana.

Snowfall of less than one inch is expected across the region, including in Bloomington.

Below zero wind chills are possible Thursday night through Saturday morning, according to the National Weather Service. 

NWS also advised drivers to plan for slippery road conditions. 

Following statewide power outages in Texas, the National Weather Service in Missouri shared some tips for staying warm. These include placing rolled-up towels at the base of exterior doors, moving all activities to a main room and closing remaining doors to preserve heat. In addition, they encourage gathering emergency supplies such as flashlights, blankets and sleeping bags. It's also a good idea to have extra clothing layers handy — the New York Times recommends multiple layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothes. 

Firing up gas or wood fireplaces also helps, the NWS said, as do generators. However, these generators must be portable and indoor-safe as to avoid carbon monoxide buildups.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments