COLUMN: IU men’s basketball can play beautifully, but beauty is fleeting

spiubb020221-5.jpg

IU men’s basketball fell to No. 12 Illinois 75-71 in overtime Tuesday following a 45-minute battle that felt slightly longer than the Zhou Dynasty, which brought seismic shifts in culture and politics to feudal China across a span of 790 years. 

While the Hoosiers led 41-34 after perhaps the best first half they had played this season, what ensued was a breakneck sprint into all the ugliness college basketball has to offer. 

Illinois entered Assembly Hall four days after a grueling 80-75 victory over No. 8 Iowa, while IU had nine days to prepare because its matchup against No. 4 Michigan on Saturday was canceled due to COVID-19 cases in Michigan’s program. 

The Hoosiers enjoyed the benefits of extra rest and recovery early on, operating like students fresh off eight hours of sleep and a healthy breakfast. Meanwhile, the Illini rolled in with bloodshot eyes and all the alertness a Monster energy drink and a cold Pop-Tart can provide. 

Nevertheless, Illinois was still clearly the more imposing squad thanks largely to sophomore center and 2019 Big Ten freshman of the year Kofi Cockburn. 

Cockburn is a bit of a matchup nightmare for any human shorter than seven feet or lighter than 285 pounds, so the Hoosier defense must be credited for holding him to 16 points.

IU sophomore forward Trayce Jackson-Davis outscored Cockburn with 19 points but struggled to find his groove early on. 

Jackson-Davis probably would have had more success if he had remained patient in the paint rather than flinging shots at the backboard, but I also can’t blame him for not charging headfirst into a man who dwarfs most professional linebackers.

That being said, he adapted his style and began scoring on some of the lowest arcing shots I have ever witnessed. It’s not that Jackson-Davis has much trouble lighting up the scoreboard, but extending his shooting range beyond a yard from the basket could monumentally elevate his performance.

Junior forward Race Thompson lent another 18 points and 37 minutes of relentless aggression in the paint. 

Between the two forwards, there were some especially bodacious blocks throughout the evening. Sure, a decent number of those were called for goaltending, but the resonant thud of palm against leather is auditory bliss regardless.

Although the Hoosiers went six minutes without a single field goal in the second half, they maintained their lead for seven minutes through seemingly endless foul shots. A chorus of whistles superseded Assembly Hall’s speakers in supplying the soundtrack for last night’s contest, resulting in 66 total free throws between both teams. 

Alas, momentum is a cruel mistress, and she cares not for the feelings of basketball fans. One moment, the Hoosiers are passing the ball with precision on offense and switching flawlessly on defense. The next, they appear to have strapped on roller blades, aimlessly scrambling around the hardwood.

IU went from shooting just under 50% from the floor and 60% from the perimeter to a meager 33% for each in the second act. The four turnovers the Hoosiers surrendered in the first half were matched within only five minutes of exiting the locker room. 

The unfortunate truth of competing in a conference with six ranked schools is that often your best efforts result in a loss purely because you stumbled upon an even hotter team. Navigating the Big Ten is essentially an endurance test in which you hope your biggest duds coincide with your opponent’s. 

Honestly, IU’s nine-day hiatus had left me hungry enough that any exciting game would taste sweet. Perhaps I’m numb from sleep deprivation, but this particular slice of Hoosier heartbreak wasn’t too difficult to swallow. 

Whether it’s the glory of victory or simply athletes being able to play, little is guaranteed this  season. Tonight showed us college basketball may be beautiful, but beauty is nothing if not fleeting. 

I mean, seriously, talk about an ugly finish.