Lane closures along State Road 37 could complicate students’ return to campus

caconstruction012621.jpg

Students returning to IU next week could see road closures and delays on I-69 that interrupt their normal route to campus. 

Officials from the I-69 Finish Line project provided an update on the status of the major roadway improvement project at a virtual presentation hosted by the Greater Mooresville Chamber of Commerce Thursday. The project is a major roadway improvement plan that aims to upgrade State Road 37 to interstate standards by 2024. 

A 5-mile section of State Road 37 in Martinsville has been closed for three weeks and will remain closed for most of 2021. I-69 Finish Line officials said it could speed up completion of the project by a year.

“Safety and shortening the construction timeline are two of the main benefits of the full closure,” the I-69 Finish Line team said of the closure on its website. “By removing live traffic from the construction zone, it’s a safer environment for motorists and workers.”

The section of State Road 37 between State Road 144 and Martinsville has also been reduced to one lane of traffic. I-69 officials said drivers could experience significant delays and recommend avoiding the road if possible.

State Road 37 connects I-465 — the Indianapolis beltway — to I-69, the major roadway that runs through Bloomington. The I-69 Finish Line is the final section of the interstate connection between Indianapolis and Evansville. Bridges and access roads are being constructed along the route as part of the project. The finished, updated roadway is expected to be completed by the end of 2024