Two new exhibits to open in IU’s Gayle Cook Center for Public Arts and Humanities

Jeffrey A. Wolin's salted paper print "3 Willows, Winter, Niwot, 1980" is a part of the Ongoing Matter exhibit coming to The Gayle Karch Cook Center for Public Arts & Humanities on Feb. 5.

IU’s Gayle Karch Cook Center for Public Arts & Humanities will open two new art exhibits Friday titled “Ongoing Matter” and “Photographic Occurrences.”

Ongoing Matter” will feature a collection of graphic political posters and include the work of 15 different artists. According to a press release from the Cook Center, the exhibit will encourage political engagement, centering on the 2019 Mueller Report. The show seeks to educate the public on the major threats to democracy cited in the report while also making the report accessible. 

Photographic Occurrences” will feature the work of more than 20 artists and will focus on the legacy of Henry Holmes Smith, who taught photography at IU from 1947-1977. Smith is well known for his contributions to photography in higher education and broke new ground in the creation of cameraless photographic images, some of which are featured in the exhibit. 

According to the Cook Center’s press release, the exhibits will be open to in-person visits in Maxwell Hall’s Cook Center 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday with extended hours on Thursdays. Both exhibits will offer a Facebook Live reception Friday, Feb. 5 at 5 p.m.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments