Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra concert with guest artist SeungAh Hong

entorchestra110820.jpg

The Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra will perform its second in-person concert of the year at 4:30 p.m. Nov. 7 featuring guest artist SeungAh Hong.

The concert will be held at Terre Haute, Indiana at the Maryland Community Church on 4700 S. Highway 46. The theme for this concert is “Bach, Handel, Mozart, & Haydn: GREAT Music from the Fab Four” featuring SeungAh Hong as the THSO principal cellist.

Hong, a graduate student from IU Jacobs School of Music, said many orchestra organizations have canceled their season because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“It’s strange because many musicians haven’t practiced or had concerts since March,” Hong said. “It’s wonderful to play music live, especially during a pandemic.”

Hong received an artist diploma in solo cello and earned a master’s degree in both cello and baroque cello from Jacobs while studying at IU.

Hong has won many competitions including Osaka International Music, the Indianapolis Matinee Musicale, the Kuttner Quartet, the IU Cello Concerto, the Kumho Asiana Young Artist Concert Audition, the Ujung Arts Center Rising Star Concert and the Ewon Arts Center Young Artist Auditions.

David Bowden, artistic director and conductor of the orchestra, said Hong is an amazing artist and musician who really goes above and beyond.

“As a person who listens to music you can say ‘Wow, that's a wonderful singer and musician,” Bowden said. “She just has it.”

With the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons will have the option to print their ticket at home, pick them up at the THSO office, pick them up at the venue’s will call table or receive their tickets by mail. 

Tickets will be available for online purchase through Saturday.Single ticket holders will be granted access to the venue beginning at 4 p.m. Saturday. Tickets will not be available for purchase at the venue due to COVID-19 restrictions. Masks are required to enter the concert.

Samantha Johnson-Helms, executive director of the orchestra, said it’s exciting to work with the THSO during the pandemic and she is proud to work with an organization that's remaining innovative and hasn’t given up due to a pandemic. 

“Our top priority is to continue to provide live music in the safest way possible,” Helms said. “It requires looking for larger venues for social distancing, masks and virtual options.”

Helms said THSO's goal for this concert is to provide hope for the community and normalcy.

“Live music really has an impact on a person and our company is all about improving the quality of life,” Helms said. “We're just trying to install a little hope during the pandemic, especially when our community needs it.”

Single tickets may be purchased over the phone by calling the THSO office at 812- 242-8476 until 5 p.m. Friday or online at www.thso.org.