Bloomington Police Department employee tests positive for COVID-19

An employee of the Bloomington Police Department tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday, according to a City of Bloomington press release.

The employee is not a patrol officer, had minimal contact with the public in the 72 hours before showing symptoms and is currently taking sick leave. The employee self-isolated since first experiencing symptoms on Oct. 3 and was given a viral test for COVID-19 on Oct. 5, according to the release.

Vehicles and equipment the employee came into contact with have been decontaminated and co-workers with whom the employee may have interacted have been identified, measures that are a part of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. 

This has been the first known case among BPD staff and the eleventh positive COVID-19 case among Bloomington City Staff, with the most recent being a City of Bloomington Utilities employee, who was reported to have tested positive for COVID-19 on September 14, according to the release.

Three Bloomington Fire Department employees tested positive for COVID-19 between March and June, as well as a Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department employee in April, according to previous IDS articles.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.

Comments