Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department employee tests positive for COVID-19

A Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department employee tested positive Thursday for COVID-19, according to a Friday press release from the city.

The employee has been on leave since Monday when they started displaying symptoms, according to the release. The exact symptoms are confidential, and it’s unknown how the employee contracted the virus, according to an email from city spokesperson Yael Ksander.

The city is identifying other employees who may have come in contact with the person and implementing guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Indiana State Department of Health, according to the press release. Following protocol, the Monroe County Health Department is contact-tracing to determine whether the person came in contact with anyone in the general public, according to Ksander’s email. The results of the contact-tracing are unknown at this time.

The person is the second city employee to test positive, according to the release. A firefighter was confirmed March 28 to have the virus.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.

Comments