Black Voices

Black Voices: Meet Mu Beta Lambda

bvprofil101820(1).JPG

After attending several call out meetings for business fraternities found around the Kelley School of Business, Bryce Grimes, B.S. Marketing, saw the skills and versatility a business fraternity could bring an individual. 

This enrichment prompted Grimes to create an organization that would focus on the professional and personal development of its members. He wanted it to encompass aspects of leadership, professionalism and innovation while also creating an environment in which underrepresented minorities interested in business could grow, without feeling marginalized. 

With the help of eight other founders, Mu Beta Lambda Business Fraternity Inc. was founded on Feb. 17, 2012. Mu Beta Lambda became the first minority-based business fraternity in the nation. Our purpose is to provide support and training for minority students, allowing them to be competitive academically and professionally. Open to all students regardless of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, social location, or ethnicity — we foster a diverse environment where we listen, understand, and discuss each of our member’s ideas, beliefs, and concerns. 

bvprofile101820(2).jpg
Current and past members of the Mu Beta Lambda Business Fraternity pose at the plaque ceremony in February at the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center. Courtesy Photo

Since our founding, Mu Beta Lambda has become revolutionary through individuals dedicated to the empowerment of minority professionals. Mu Beta Lambda is currently open to students majoring or minoring with the Kelley School of Business, the O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs and the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering. We as young professionals, utilize our network to create opportunities for the advancement of our members and community. 

Our pillars of kinship, diversity & culture, professionalism, scholarship and community service form a strong foundation that guides our members on and off campus. Each year, we grow as an organization and further develop ourselves to be the business leaders of tomorrow. 

If you want to stay updated or learn more about our organization, feel free to reach out to us at info@mubetalambda.com or visit our website at mubetalambda.com. You can also follow us on Instagram @iumubetalambda or connect with us on LinkedIn @Mu Beta Lambda Minority Business Fraternity, Inc.

bvbanner.png

Uplifting Black stories, perspectives and art from IU and Bloomington. Reach out at blackvoices@idsnews.com.