academics & research student life

IU reports system-wide technology outages, including Zoom and Canvas

canvaserror2.png

University Information Technology Services reported a system-wide outage of multiple applications that are critical for students attending class remotely. On the first day of classes, students are experiencing outages of critical applications including Zoom and Canvas. 

Salesforce applications, OnBase and IU Bursar Pay are also affected services, according to the UITS status page. Sophomore Leo Helman said the outages are making it difficult for him to get on Zoom calls. 

“I was trying to log in to do my homework, and it just keeps on saying ‘failed to log-in,’” Helman said. “I went onto Twitter. I saw that everybody on Twitter is freaking out because Canvas isn’t working.”

While the Zoom phone and desktop apps are working, Helman said that may still not be helpful, as he needs Canvas to use Zoom for some of his classes.

“My professors post their Zoom links on the Canvas page,” he said. “I can use the Zoom app, but if I can’t use Canvas, I can’t get the link to join the Zoom class.”

UITS posted an alert on their website that shows the outage is system-wide, with every IU campus impacted by the issue. 

“Some users are experiencing difficulties accessing multiple services,” the site said. “System administrators are investigating.”

The company said they are hearing complaints on their status page of partial outages, affecting students across the country. The company started investigating the problem around 9 a.m., according to Zoom. Some students are having success logging in to Zoom if they use the Zoom app rather than the website. 

“I just hope it gets fixed soon,” Helman said.

As of 11:40 a.m., some students are reporting being able to log in to Canvas.

IU Canvas sent a Canvas message to students around 4:30 p.m. saying Canvas access has been restored but some pages might load slower than normal.

UITS tweeted around 3:30 p.m. that all known problems have been resolved.

This story will be updated.