sports football coronavirus

IU Athletics announces plan for 2020 football ticket sales and coronavirus requirements

sptickets080520.jpg

IU Athletics released its plan Wednesday afternoon for 2020 football tickets sales, as well as guidelines in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We continue to solicit and follow the advice of the IU Athletics Medical Advisory Group and abide by the directives from campus leadership, local and state agencies, and the CDC in formulating a plan to welcome fans to Memorial Stadium this fall,” IU athletic director Scott Dolson said in the release. “We want to give our loyal fans an opportunity to see Coach Tom Allen’s team this fall as much as possible, but we must be sure that we do that in way that is responsible and follows the safety protocols.”

The new ticket plan comes after the Big Ten released its revised schedule Wednesday morning. IU will have five home games.

The new guidelines give priority to season ticket holders and students. IU will attempt to allow those groups to attend as many games as possible. The sale of mini-season tickets and all other ticket packages have been stopped. IU athletics said it does not anticipate selling single-game tickets.

All tickets will be digital this year and all parking passes must be purchased in advance.

IU is allowing season ticket holders to opt-out of their plans should they be uncomfortable attending games amid the pandemic. Those fans will have the option to donate their ticket payments to the IU Varsity Club, apply those payments to 2021 season tickets or get a refund on this year's tickets.

Fans who opt-out or do not purchase 2020 season tickets will not lose their consecutive years of season ticket purchases nor will it have any influence on purchasing 2021 season tickets.

Those same guidelines apply to games that may be canceled or postponed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic or where fans may be limited in a larger capacity than originally anticipated.

IU still determining exactly how many fans will be allowed to attend games. That plan is set to be announced in mid-August, around a month before IU's first scheduled home game Sep. 12 against Penn State.

Fans in the stadium will be required to wear masks at all times.

The release said IU will follow safety guidelines determined by IU, the Big Ten and the NCAA as well as state and local governments, but did not provide further information on exactly what that entails. Temperature checks upon entry have been fairly common among sports that have allowed fans during the pandemic.

Additional information on tailgating is still to come.

The release said no plans currently exist for the men's and women's basketball seasons. Neither team has announced a full schedule for this season.

IU plans to continue providing updates on tickets as they become available.