IDS Connect newsroom awards

Rising senior Caroline Anders wins Hearst National Writing Championship

prcarolinehearst061020_2.jpg

Caroline Anders, Indiana Daily Student staff member and rising senior, received first place in the 2020 Hearst National Writing Championship. Rising junior and IDS sports writer Matt Cohen was a finalist. 

Anders and Cohen both placed in the 2019-2020 Hearst Journalism Awards Program, making them eligible to compete in the 60th annual Hearst Championships.

“I’m so grateful to have even competed, so this feels surreal,” Anders said. 

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the in-person National Championship in Houston, Texas, was canceled. Finalists instead met their judges and received their assignments virtually.

The assignments included three stories: a feature about the effects of the coronavirus pandemic on local arts and entertainment industries, a story about Harris County, Texas, judge Lina Hidalgo and a cover of a press conference given by Hidalgo.

Anders placed second in last year’s Writing Championship. With her win this year, seven IU students have won the championship in the past 10 years. 

By placing first, Anders receives a $10,000 scholarship. Cohen will receive $1,500. 

“Competing in Hearst was an amazing reminder of why I want to do this work,” Anders said. “It’s also so inspiring to meet other young journalists and see how much hope we should have for the future of the industry.”