crime & courts

Man wanted in Monroe County arrested in Clay County after tossing explosives out of car in chase

Owensburg, Indiana, man Marion Tanner Joseph Haywood, 23, who was wanted in Monroe County for domestic violence with a deadly weapon and other charges, was arrested Wednesday by Clay County deputies after a chase and officer shooting, according to a press release.

Around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, the Clay County Sheriff's Department was called about a suspicious person “knocking vigorously” on someone’s door near the Clay County and Vigo County line off of State Road 46. The person left before deputies arrived, but soon after, a deputy saw the vehicle the caller described driving east on SR 46 near County Road 150 West at a high speed.

The deputy attempted to pull over the driver, but the driver would not stop. The driver began tossing what would later be identified as active, improvised explosives out of his car while continuing to drive. 

The driver drove off the road at the turn at County Road 100 East and County Road 300 North, and the deputy caught up to him. The driver then got his car back on the road and drove directly at the deputy. The deputy shot at the vehicle, and the driver continued down County Road 100 East before stopping and attempting to run away on foot. 

A Clay County K-9 officer caught the man, who was then identified as Haywood and sent to Regional Hospital in Terre Haute for non-life-threatening injuries. He will be put in custody after he has been treated, according to the release.

The Indianapolis-based Indiana State Police Explosive Ordnance Disposal team came to neutralized the explosive devices Haywood had discarded on the street and some that were still in his car.

Clay County deputy Hunter Gambil who chased and shot at Haywood is now on administrative leave, which is customary in officer-involved shootings.

Haywood was previously charged with domestic battery, strangulation, kidnapping, unlawful possession of a firearm and vehicle theft in May.