Fred Glass awarded President’s Medal for Excellence before retirement

spiuglass062920.jpg

On the eve of his final day as IU athletic director, Fred Glass received the President’s Medal for Excellence during an unannounced Zoom conference appearance from IU President Michael McRobbie on Monday.

Glass was recognized for his success overseeing IU Athletics, which included the modernization of the university’s major athletic facilities. It is the highest honor an IU president can give. 

Scott Dolson will replace Glass on July 1, ending a tenure that lasted nearly 12 years. 

“Fred has been an outstanding athletics director for IU and is one of the very best in the Big Ten,” McRobbie said in a release. “He assumed the role after what had been a tumultuous decade for IU Athletics. Since then, he has worked tirelessly to return his alma mater to its rightful place as one of the premier athletic departments in the country.” 

Glass was named IU athletic director Jan. 1, 2009. Since then, the graduation success rate for IU athletics rose from 77% to 91%. In each of the last seven years, it has been equal or better than the year prior. During his tenure, he also introduced the Student-Athlete Bill of Rights and the Sexual Violence Disqualification Policy and recorded no major NCAA rules violations. 

Glass is one of six recipients of the IU President’s Medal for Excellence that has direct ties to IU Athletics, including Bob Knight, Ed Williams, Jerry Yeagley, Lin Loring and Hobie Billingsley.