sports women's basketball

IU women’s basketball picks up commitment from 2021 guard Keyarah Berry

spiuwbbberry060120.jpeg

Keyarah Berry, the No. 100 player in the 2021 class according to ESPN, verbally committed to the IU women’s basketball team on Saturday.

The Rockmart, Georgia, native received offers from Jacksonville University, Seton Hall University, Murray State University and Georgia Southern University before choosing IU.

“I want to thank my friends and teammates for pushing me on and off of the court everyday,” Berry said in a post on Twitter.

As a junior last season, Berry averaged 32.1 points, 9.3 rebounds and 4.5 steals per game, according to statistics from MaxPreps. In January, Berry surpassed 2,000 points in her high school career.

Berry dropped 40 or more points on eight occasions last season and knocked down six 3-pointers in a game in December. She also netted 47 and snatched 16 rebounds in the fourth game of the year.

Berry’s dominance resulted in being named as the 2A North Player of the Year and selected to the 2A All-State first team.

The 5-foot-11-inch wing is ranked by ESPN as the No. 30 guard in the nation.

An evaluation of Berry's skill set was released by ESPN from the 2020 state tournament.

“Athletic guard creates and delivers in mid-range game to the arc,” the scouting report said. “Makes plays in isolation, rises over the defense; rebounds and runs, plays fast in uptempo game; a stock-riser in the class of 2021.”

Berry figures to be a key pickup for the Hoosiers considering rising senior guards Ali Patberg and Jaelynn Penn will graduate after next season. 

As an All-Conference player last season, Patberg led IU in both points per game with 15.6 and assists per game with 5.6. Penn averaged 10.6 points and 4.5 rebounds per game and collected All-Big Ten Honorable Mention.

With the departures of the senior guard duo, Berry could step into an important role as a freshman for IU women’s head basketball coach Teri Moren.

Berry is the first player in the 2021 class to pledge her commitment to the Hoosiers, according to ESPN.