bloomington

Bloomington public pools closed due to coronavirus; residents unhappy

capoolsclosed060820_3.jpg

The City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department announced in a June 1 press release the city’s two outdoor pools, Bryan Park Pool and Mills Pool, will be closed for the summer to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

The press release stated safety protocols established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Monroe County Health Department would be difficult to implement in this setting. Also, lifeguards and other aquatic facility members were unable to be trained in the spring due to the closure of indoor pools at the time.

Administrator Paula Devitt said in the press release closing the two popular pools was a difficult but correct decision. She said they did so after researching and consulting state and national health recommendations.

Many were upset with the decision and voiced their displeasure via social media. People said their children often go to the pool and it serves as exercise for their family. Others noted how many families, babysitters and nannies depend on the pool for younger children because it is a safe, enclosed area and close for those with limited transportation. 

Others were voicing support saying even though the water is chlorinated, there is still a spread of germs through the air and on surfaces in locker rooms and around the pool. Many suggested visiting rivers, lakes and beaches nearby instead.

The spray pad at Switchyard Park, located at 1601 S. Rogers St., is expected to open in late June. Devitt said the exact date depends on the Monroe County reopening schedule. Restrooms and changing rooms will be available. COVID-19 safety recommendations will also be in place at the spray pad.