coronavirus

A list of mental health, addiction, abuse resources to access from home

camentalhealth051120

The coronavirus pandemic is keeping many people at home and isolated from groups or resources that are usually available to help those battling addiction or mental illness. Some people who have lost their jobs or are facing other stressors may find themselves needing extra help coping. There are many websites and phone numbers for Hoosiers and people nationwide related to mental health, addiction, abuse and more while still being at home.

24-hour Crisis Line (IU based)

The 24-hour Crisis Line is offered by Counseling and Psychological Services to those who need support immediately rather than waiting for an available appointment. Call 812-855-5711 and choose option one to use this. This service will connect you with a crisis counselor.

“It has increased 200% just this month,” IU CAPS director Denise Hayes said.

Visit the CAPS website or call 812-855-5711 to make a counseling appointment. CAPS is providing sessions online through Zoom or phone calls right now. 

Sexual Violence Support (IU based)

CAPS and IU's Sexual Assault Crisis Services offer the Sexual Violence Support Hotline. 

SACS counselors specialize in working with sexual violence survivors through crisis, individual and group counseling. They can be reached at 812-855-8900 at any time. 

If you would like to speak with a confidential victim advocate call 812-856-2469 or email cva@indiana.edu.

To talk to staff from the Sexual Violence Support with the Division of Student Affairs call 812-855-1509 or email sallthom@indiana.edu. They are working remotely because of the coronavirus. 

Be Well Indiana (State)

The Be Well Indiana website, an initiative by the Indiana Division of Mental Health and Addiction, provides resources for mental health and substance abuse. Resources include mental health surveys, tips to take care of your body and up-to-date COVID-19  information.

The staff at the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration hope this resource is used even after this pandemic ends. FSSA’s goal is to help people remain in good health through all times, not just during a global crisis.

“Through this website we really hope to provide a free resource to people that will help guide them to any mental health assistance or needs they have during this difficult time or anytime going forward,” said Marni Lemons, Deputy Director of Communications & Media at FSSA. 

Indiana Addiction Hotline (State)

The Indiana Addiction Hotline, by Indiana DMHA, refers people seeking addiction treatment to counselors. People can also get information about local Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous programs. The source is sponsored by the Indiana government and is available 24/7. To contact them call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or visit its website to chat with a live representative.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

The Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides emotional support and crisis counseling. It is run by the Mental Health Association of New York City and has over 150 local crisis centers.

To use this service, call the number 1-800-273-8255 or visit its website for more information.

The lifeline has also been sharing tips and posts on its Facebook about how to support your mental health during the coronavirus pandemic. 

National Domestic Violence Hotline

While staying quarantined at home, some people may find themselves in abusive situations. Incidents of domestic violence have gone up during quarantine. Stress and financial problems have also been seen to negatively impact survivors and create unsafe situations.

"Abuse is about power and control," according to the hotline's website. "When survivors are forced to stay in the home or in close proximity to their abuser more frequently, an abuser can use any tool to exert control over their victim, including a national health concern such as COVID-19." 

Call 1-800-799-7233 or visit its website for more information on how this resource could help someone experiencing violence.

United Way's 211

Dialing 211 can connect you with resources for a variety of different needs including housing programs, employment opportunities, health care and mental illness support groups. 211 is a program by United Way, a nonprofit organization that partners with other programs to address problems like financial instability. 

“211 is a database that has up to date information about resources in all of those realms, and is able to help connect a person with that information and help get them pointed in the right direction,” Rachel Halleck, deputy director and chief of staff of FSSA’s DMHA, said.