Indiana commission extends FAFSA deadline, encourages students to file ASAP

fafsabrief.jpg

The deadline to file the 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid is being extended by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, according to an Indiana Commission for Higher Education press release. There is no set deadline, but students who did not meet the original deadline are encouraged to file as soon as possible because limited funding is available on a first-come first-served basis.

The original deadline, April 15, was extended to ensure as many Hoosiers as possible can access financial aid in the coming academic year, as the coronavirus has caused the cancellation of schools and sponsored filing events along with it, according to the release.

“We know there are unusual pressures on students and families right now,” said Indiana Commissioner for Higher Education Teresa Lubbers in the release. “Extending the FAFSA deadline during these extenuating circumstances is one more way we are committed to helping Hoosiers continue to prepare for their futures.”

The deadline extension also applies to the 21st Century Scholarship program and the Frank O’Bannon Grant, according to the release. However, there is no extension for the Next Level Jobs Workforce Ready Grant. 

The number of Hoosiers applying for FAFSA has decreased this year, likely because in-person and in-school learning has been canceled and many schools have FAFSA support events, according to the release. As of April 13, over 215,000 FAFSA applications were filed, a decrease of 2.5% from the previous year. 

The Commission mitigated this by mailing out paper FAFSA forms to high school seniors enrolled in the 21st Century Scholars program, according to the release. The Commission also organized two virtual filing events where live support was offered to students and families over the phone and on social media. These efforts boosted completed FAFSA filings by four percent, according to the release.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated the deadline for the 21st Century Scholars application. The IDS regrets this error