sports   |   football   |   coronavirus

IU cancels spring football game, restricts fan attendance at spring, winter sports

spiufbcanceled031220

IU football head coach Tom Allen sways with his team before running out of the tunnel Nov. 16 at Beaver Stadium in State College, Pennsylvania. IU Athletics announced Thursday its spring football game will be canceled due to coronavirus concerns in a press release. Colin Kulpa

IU Athletics announced its annual spring football game will be canceled due to coronavirus concerns in a press release Thursday. The game was scheduled for April 17. 

IU has also restricted fans from attending winter and spring sports. Essential personnel allowed to attend include student-athletes, coaches, event staff, essential team and conference staff, TV network partners, credentialed media and immediate family members of the participating teams.

Those restrictions apply to men’s basketball, women’s basketball, men’s and women’s track and field, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s swimming and diving, baseball, softball and water polo.

All tickets to baseball games will be refunded beginning with Friday’s game against the University of Memphis. The release also stated IU will refund tickets to the Big Ten Tournament that has now been canceled entirely. 

As of now, spring sports seasons are still set to take place. 

“IU Athletics will continue to work with the Big Ten Conference, the NCAA, the Indiana University Athletics Medical Advisory Group and campus partners in monitoring and responding to the coronavirus situation,” the release said. “Our top priority remains the health, safety and security of our students, coaches, staff and fans, and that will guide our decision-making process moving forward.”

More in Sports