coronavirus

First case of coronavirus reported in Indiana, public health emergency declared

holcomb corona.jpg

A Marion County, Indiana, resident has tested positive for coronavirus, Gov. Eric Holcomb and the Indiana State Department of Health announced in a Friday morning press conference. Holcomb declared a public health emergency to coordinate the state’s response. 

“With the help of our federal, state and local partners, Indiana is responding to this case as we have planned and prepared for weeks,” Holcomb said. “The Hoosier who has been diagnosed has taken responsible steps to stay isolated.”

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said in an email there is no indication of a case of coronavirus at IU. The university has already canceled IU-sponsored international spring break trips and restricted travel to China, Iran, Italy and South Korea, which are level 3 travel alert destinations designated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This designation indicates widespread transmission of the virus. Some level 3 destinations have restrictions on travel to the U.S., according to the CDC’s website.

The infected patient in Indiana is an adult who recently traveled to Boston, according to an ISDH press release. State Health Commissioner Kris Box said the man has been in quarantine since arriving back in Indianapolis on March 4 and the risk to the general public is low.

Box said during the press conference that the patient is being isolated outside of the hospital. She said this is a mild case of the virus and nothing indicated the patient needed to be hospitalized. Quarantine restricts the movement of healthy people who may have been exposed to an infection to see if they become ill. Isolation separates sick people from healthy people to prevent spread of disease.

There are eight reported cases of coronavirus in Massachusetts, according to the Boston Globe.

ISDH tests found the patient tested positive for coronavirus, but samples will be sent to the CDC for final confirmation. The Indiana State Department of Health has tested 12 individuals for the virus and is monitoring about 30 others.

“Given the global spread of this illness, the question was never if Indiana would have a case, but when it would arrive,” Box said. “I want to stress that this is an isolated case and that this patient and the hospital did everything possible to limit the risk of exposure to other individuals.”

Chief physician executive with Community Health Network Dr. Ram Yeleti said the man called Thursday concerned he had symptoms of coronavirus, according to the Indianapolis Star. He was taken through a side entrance of Community Hospital North and didn't have contact with other patients or caregivers.

The CDC will work to identify and notify travelers who were on the patient’s flight from Boston, according to the release. The Indianapolis Star reports people who sat in the two rows ahead and behind him will be notified of their potential risk.

The patient will be isolated for 14 days and will not be released until he meets standards for negative testing.

According to the release, the public health emergency declaration will call on state agencies to continue cooperating to respond to coronavirus and ensure the state can seek funding to help control and stop the spread of the virus. Congress passed an $8.3 billion emergency spending package Thursday to combat coronavirus. According to the Washington Post, President Donald Trump is expected to sign the legislation.

The best way to protect yourself from any respiratory illness, including the flu, is to wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer if soap and water aren't available, according to the release. It also said to avoid touching your face, avoid close contact with people who are sick, stay home when you are sick, cover coughs and sneezes with tissues and frequently clean touched objects and surfaces.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated how much money is included in the emergency spending bill Congress passed. It also failed to clarify which passengers on the infected patient's flight would be notified of their potential risk, the difference between quarantine and isolation and that hand sanitizer is not as effective as washing your hands. The IDS regrets these errors.