Trayce Jackson-Davis earns second Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors

spiubbbrief120219.jpg

Throughout its first seven games of the season, IU men’s basketball played with incredible inconsistency. But the one constant has been freshman forward Trayce Jackson-Davis. 

For the second time in the first month of the season, Jackson-Davis was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week. 

Over IU’s two wins during the week against Louisiana Tech University and South Dakota State University, Jackson-Davis averaged 20 points and 12.5 rebounds. He had 21 points and 11 rebounds against Louisiana Tech, as well as 19 points and 14 rebounds against South Dakota State. All four marks were team bests in the respective games. 

With a double-double in each game, Jackson-Davis now has four total such performances over seven games, putting him in the top 20 nationally and second in the Big Ten. Jackson-Davis leads the team in both points and rebounds per game for the season, averaging 15.6 points and 9.6 rebounds. He’s second nationally among freshmen in field goal percentage and first in the Big Ten overall, third in blocked shots and fourth in both rebounding and free throws made. 

Now having won the award and continuing his hot start over the course of a month, Jackson-Davis is showing he’s no fluke.

He’s already emerging as one of IU’s best scoring options as a freshman and carving out a role not just as a talented freshman but a crucial player to the success of the team. He’s been at catalyst for IU on both ends of the floor with his scoring, rebounding and blocks. He’ll be a piece IU looks to lean on as it shifts from its easiest month to one of its most difficult.