arts music

Concerts worth attending in Bloomington this October

arts filler.JPG

As fall begins, Bloomington is hosting new concerts ranging from legendary artists to up-and-coming EP creators with a loyal following. This month boasts of Bob Dylan and his band, Trampled by Turtles, Yoke Lore, Gryffin and Magic City Hippies.

Bob Dylan and his band

After selling out their show in 2017, Bob Dylan and his band will be returning at 8 p.m Oct. 27 in the IU Auditorium with tickets starting at $59.50 plus fees. Dylan is a musician and pop culture icon who has won 10 Grammys, an Academy award and a Golden Globe award, as well as the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Nobel Prize for Literature. Known for poetic, meaningful songs involving social commentary, Dylan sparked a revolution in the 1960s with him being one of the first musicians to have an active voice in terms of ethical issues in society. Some of his critically acclaimed hits include “Like a Rolling Stone,” “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall” and “All Along the Watchtower.”

Trampled by Turtles

Trampled by Turtles is on tour and making a stop at 8 p.m Oct. 26 at the Bluebird with tickets priced at $30. The band is a folk quintet hailing from Duluth, Minnesota. The five-member band does not shy away from social commentary, catchy hooks and energized harmonies. Their most recent album, “Palomino,” was on the bluegrass charts and is rock infused with one of their inspirations being Bob Dylan. 

Yoke Lore

Yoke Lore is set to perform at 8 p.m Oct. 20 at the Bishop with tickets priced at $12. Yoke Lore, whose real name is Adrian Galvin, is from New York and explains that his name can be broken down to togetherness and stories. His talents have included his roles in Yellerkin and Walk the Moon. His repertoire of EPs have gained him a steady following since his first EP, “Far Shore,” was released in 2016. He has toured nonstop throughout the past three years and played festivals worldwide.

Gryffin

Gryffin, who calls himself a melodic house DJ, will be performing at 9 p.m. Oct. 30 at the Bluebird with a ticket costing at $25 on his GRAVITY II TOUR. His electronic music consists of in-depth compositions that show a bold attempt to change one’s perception of house music. As the tour name alludes, there will be cosmic and elaborate lights just as one would picture of a dreamy space. The energy that he and his band bring will be eclectic with remixes of songs such as Desire’s “Years & Years.”

Magic City Hippies

Magic City Hippies will have a show at 8 p.m. Oct. 5 at the Bluebird with a ticket being $15. Its music is a breezy, indie funk group from Miami. Initially a solo act, singer and songwriter Robby Hunter set out for two more members, and since then, they have expanded the group to five members. The band has gained a following from its hits such as “Fanfare” and “Bull Ride.”