bloomington

WFIU, WTIU general manager Perry Metz retires after 16 years of leadership

cawtiu090319.jpg

Perry Metz, who has managed WFIU and WTIU stations for 16 years, announced his retirement Aug. 26 and will leave his position in October. 

While Metz was general manager he expanded the radio and television stations. Metz created the first converged newsroom in public media. WFIU-WTIU combines radio and television with an online presence that generates over four million views, according to a WFIU-WTIU press release. 

Metz helped both stations increase local and regional news coverage, expanded WTIU’s production of local documentaries and had record membership revenues, according to the release.

“Working at the stations with such a creative staff has been rewarding and fun," Metz said in the release. "I’m so proud of what they have accomplished in producing the best programs on Indiana history, culture and art as well as news, music, science and sustainable living." 

According to the release, the WFIU-WTIU news team has won hundreds of programming awards during Metz’s tenure, including 65 in 2019 alone. Some of these include the national Edward R. Murrow and Public Radio News Directors Incorporated awards. 

The team does other work for IU on top of running and programming for two radio and five television stations. Recently, the team has helped redesign and equip Studio Five in the Radio-Television Building as well as designing and building the main studio in Franklin Hall. The team also runs the video boards for home football and basketball games, Metz said. 

One of the major projects Metz has been working on over the last year is to create endowed internships for IU students with the help of Ken Beckley and Larry Alt. These paid internships will help students gain experience in a variety of areas and create diverse portfolios in order to help them get media jobs, Metz said.  

“I believe that thoughtful and consistent journalism is the backbone of the American democracy," Metz said. "With reliable information, citizens are best equipped to decide the future of their cities, states and nation." 

WFIU has two radio stations that cater to south-central Indiana. They focus on broadcasting news, jazz and classical music. WFIU was one of the original 90 charter members of NPR when they began broadcasting in 1950, according to the press release.

WTIU can be seen on five channels that are all broadcast from IU’s campus. WTIU first began broadcasting in 1969, and their channels now reach parts of 29 counties in Indiana. WTIU airs PBS programming, daily breaking news and three locally produced weekly series — "Journey Indiana," "The Friday Zone" and "Indiana Newsdesk" — according to the WTIU website. 

IU Provost Lauren Robel appointed Brad Wheeler, IU vice president for communications and marketing, to head a search committee for Metz’s successor. Although Metz has just under a month left of his tenure, the search committee has just begun the first steps in searching for his successor. 

“I am delighted that Provost Robel appointed an excellent committee with broad experience and insight into the critical roles that WFIU-WTIU, news and programming play in the life of our community and the state,” Wheeler said.