Buskirk-Chumley to celebrate Indiana sports films

breaking-away_0108720c

“Breaking Away" will be playing at the Buskirk-Chumley theater, along with “Hoosiers” and “Rudy" from Aug. 16th to Aug. 18th. Tickets to each screening are $5. Movie Stills Database Buy Photos

An upcoming screening series at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater will celebrate the niche but colorful subgenre of Indiana-related sports movies. Featuring screenings of “Breaking Away,” “Hoosiers” and “Rudy,” the film series will run from Aug. 16-18. Tickets to each screening are $5. 

The first screening of the series, the 1979 Little 500 movie “Breaking Away,” will take place at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 16. The second film will be “Hoosiers,” a 1986 high school basketball movie, at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 17. The final screening of the series will be “Rudy,” a 1993 football film, at 3:00 p.m. Aug. 18.

The Saturday screening of “Hoosiers” will feature special guest Angelo Pizzo, the IU alumnus and Bloomington native who wrote the film, for a post-screening Q&A.

For the Friday night screening of “Breaking Away,” the Buskirk-Chumley Theater is offering a free ticket to anyone who featured as an extra in the movie. The theater’s website encourages extras to stop by the theater box office to share production stories and photos from the film.

More in Arts