sports golf

IU women's golf set for Lady Boilermaker Classic

spiuwgpreview41119.jpg

Following a 15th place finish at the Clemson Invitational earlier this week, IU will stay in-state this weekend and play at the Lady Boilermaker Classic in West Lafayette, Indiana.

IU is a part of a six team field that features Purdue, Butler University, Xavier University, Northern Illinois University and IU-Purdue University Indianapolis. Six Hoosiers will be competing for both the team and individual aspect of the tournament, while two will compete solely for the individual portion.

IU will bring freshman Alexis Miestowski, sophomores Priscilla Schmid, Mary Parsons and Angela Aung as well as seniors Kari Bellville and Erin Harper to the event. Only the top four scorers out of the six will count toward IU’s team score.

Juniors Emma Fisher and Elisa Pierre are the two individual competitors for IU.

A focus for the team this weekend will be to improve on its par-5 play. At the Clemson Invitational, IU finished last in the field in par-5 scoring at ten shots over par for the week.

“I thought we played well tee to green,” Head Coach Clint Wallman said. “Our par five play was a little bit off.”

Despite struggling on the par fives, IU did gain ground by way of its strong par three play. IU shot 3-under par as a team on par threes, which was the third-best par three score for the week.

This weekend’s Lady Boilermaker Classic will serve as IU’s last opportunity to prepare for next weekend’s Big Ten Championship in Maineville, Ohio.