arts performances theater

Cardinal Stage's new season brings 'The Great Gatsby,' 'Newsies' to Bloomington

entcardinalbrief040819

Cardinal Stage announced its 2019-2020 season Monday morning.

The season will begin with a production of “The Great Gatsby,” a stage adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic play on the 1920s world of bootleggers, flappers and the mysterious Jay Gatsby himself. The play will run from Sept. 5 to Sept. 22 at the Ivy Tech Waldron Auditorium, located in the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center in downtown Bloomington.

A production of the musical “Newsies,” following a group of young newsboys on strike after wealthy New York City newspaper publishers try to take advantage of their labor, will run from Dec. 12 to Dec. 29 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Other shows for the season include the comedy “The Roommate,” the biographical drama “Ada and the Engine,” which follows female mathematician Ada Lovelace and the rock musical “Hedwig and the Angry Inch.”

The children's theater series consists of “Charlotte’s Web” and “The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales.”

“I am excited about every show that we are doing next season, and they are all about identity in some form,” artistic director Kate Galvin said in a press release. “The characters we are spending time with are all seeking to define or reinvent themselves, through their own eyes or in the eyes of others.”

Subscriptions to the season are now available for purchase online. Individual tickets go on sale July 1.

Cardinal Stage’s 2019-2020 season:

“The Great Gatsby” - Sept. 5 - 22 at the Ivy Tech Waldron Auditorium

“Charlotte’s Web” - Oct. 18 - Nov. 3 at the Ivy Tech Waldron Auditorium

“Disney’s Newsies” - Dec. 12 - 29 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater

“The Roommate” - Jan. 30 - Feb. 16 at the Ivy Tech Waldron Rose Firebay

“Ada and the Engine” - March 26 - April 11 at the Ivy Tech Waldron Auditorium

“The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales” - May 1 - 17 at the Ivy Tech Waldron Auditorium

“Hedwig and the Angry Inch” - June 11 - 28 at the Ivy Tech Waldron Auditorium