arts performances music

Boy Band Review to perform this Saturday at the Bluebird Nightclub

entboyband040119.jpeg

The cover band Boy Band Review will perform at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Bluebird Nightclub.

The group covers boy band music spanning from the ‘90s to now, performing songs from bands such as 'NSync, the Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men, One Direction and the Jonas Brothers.

The four singers in the band are Brian Bender, Jan Torres, Zachary Krugman and Lucas DiCatta. The band members are drummer David Long, bass guitarist Jordan Dismuke and lead guitarist TJ Belek.

Some of the songs featured include “Bye Bye Bye” by 'NSync, “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)” by the Backstreet Boys and “MMMBop” by Hanson.

The band also perform a few songs from solo artists such as Justin Timberlake and Justin Bieber.

In addition to music, the show also includes interview clips from band members from the actual boy bands and special dance moves that coincide with the songs, including the famous wave during “Bye Bye Bye.”

Boy Band Review was formed after Bender realized how much people loved that music. In August 2006, Bender and a few of his friends formed the ‘90s tribute band the Hot Sauce Committee, a name based on the Beastie Boys’ final album.

In the midst of its set, the group would perform five boy band songs. Every time, the band knew that the crowd would enjoy that five-song interval, Bender said.

“People would go crazy for it,” Bender said. “We knew it would be a barn burner and everyone would love it.”

One night, the band actually played a boy band-themed show.

The band sold out a room meant for 1,000 people.

“The PA wasn’t loud enough because people were singing so loud with the songs,” Bender said.

After that night, the band performed a few more shows like those before deciding to go full boy band, Bender said.

“There was a demand in the market for boy band music, and we were gonna give it to them,” Bender said.

The group changed its name to Boy Band Review in January 2016 and signed a deal to perform at the Sin City Theatre for the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas that same month. After spending five months traveling around the country and workshopping theshow, the group arrived in Vegas.

The residency in Las Vegas lasted six months.

The group returned to Chicago in 2017 with the plan to continue and grow its show. Although many of the original members left after the Vegas run, the group continued to expand its reach around the country with new members in place.

Today, the group travel around the country, performing three to four nights a week at different festivals, amphitheaters, casinos and performance venues.

For Saturday's show at the Bluebird, Bender said the audience should expect a fun throwback to a time when things were simpler and fun.

“It’s just a fun throwback of songs that you may have forgotten about or were anthems when you were a teenager or just starting in college,” Bender said. “It’s like reliving the best years of your life.”

Tickets for the show are available online for $8. The doors open at 8 p.m.