news   |   bloomington

An inside look: eighth annual Indiana University Traditional Powwow

powwow7

A man stands during the Grand Entry on April 6 at the IU Traditional Powwow in Dunn Meadow. The different styles of dance require different styles of regalia, Bella King said. Colin Kulpa Buy Photos

The First Nations Educational and Cultural Center organized the eighth annual Indiana University Traditional Powwow on April 6 in Dunn Meadow. The event celebrated the native heritage of indigenous peoples.

Native American artists sold examples of traditional crafts and clothing outside an arena where dancers showcased exhibitions representing different styles of native dance. Members of the Bloomington community were encouraged to observe the powwow and participate in the intertribal exhibitions.

The Indiana University Traditional Powwow, organized by the First Nations Educational and Cultural Center, took place April 6 in Dunn Meadow. The event celebrated the heritage of indigenous peoples.

Bella King, a member of the American Indian Student Association, said she grew up around the Bloomington powwows.

"I started coming to the Bloomington powwow when I was 6, so now being able to be a part of it, and it being something the school has taken notice of, has been really great and absolutely heartwarming," she said.

More in News