arts food

Upland Brewing previews new winter seasonal beer in its lineup for 2019

entupland011419..jpg

Upland Brewing announced its 2019 beer lineup Jan. 9, including two new IPAs and a winter seasonal beer to be debuted later in the year.

The two new IPAs will be included in the brewery's Side Trail series, which is currently focused on hazy, New England-style ales. One of the new ales is called Soundbite IPA and will be on tap from March until the end of April, Upland employee Kate Langdon said. The second new ale has an undetermined name but will be on tap from May until the end of July. 

Upland also announced its initial Side Trail release of 2018, called Juiced in Time, will be re-released in small quantities year round as a specialty brew. The drink was a fan favorite, Upland said.

"Responding to requests from distributors and their customer base, Juiced In Time will be releasing in small batches throughout the entire calendar year," the brewery said in a press release.

For the breweries seasonal options, Latitude Adjustment, a tropical pale ale, will be available until the end of February. 

Following that will be the summer ale Life Exotic, which will available from March through July. From August through October, the Bavarian lager Oktoberfest will be on tap. Rounding out the year is the winter seasonal beer which will be announced later in 2019.

The brewery also announced the addition of a new canning line, which it said will improve its sustainability efforts and keep popular beers and can formats in stock. The canning line's completion allows Upland to package a number of beers in a new format: 12 packs of 12-ounce cans. 

Included in the change this fall will be Wheat Ale, Champagne Velvet and Dragonfly IPA, as well as Upland variety packs. 

Upland will be changing formats on some of its sour ales this year as well. Peach, boysenberry and sour reserve are now available in 500-milliliter cork and cage bottles. 

To wrap up the 2019 lineup, Upland collaborated with four other breweries — Mikkeller, Blackberry Farm, Paradox and The Bruery — to develop new ales. The collaboration ale with Mikkeller, Entwined, features grapes from California in addition to local Indiana grapes, according to a press release. 

Other collaborations include Revive, Prim and Cherry, and will be available year round for wholesale. Other Upland ales such as Campside Pale Ale and Bad Elmer's Porter will also be available year round.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story incorrectly identified the brewery. The IDS regrets this error.