arts performances

The Bishop Bar to host poetry slam open to public

The Bishop

Local writers and artists will be showcasing their work at 8:30 p.m. Jan. 11 during an open mic and poetry slam at the Bishop Bar.

According to a Facebook post by Dan Sullivan, host and self-proclaimed "slam master," the event will begin with an open mic time and end with the poetry slam. Everyone in attendance is allowed to perform their own poetry, music or writing during the first part of the event. However, poets who perform during the open mic may not compete in a poetry slam the same day.

The competition will consist of a two-round poetry slam of up to 10 poets. The slam will be judged by five randomly selected audience members. 

The top three poets from each round will be awarded 30, 25 and 20 points, respectively. Five points can be earned for participation, hosting, scoring and keeping time. The poets with the highest scores will move on to the second round. 

The scores are not cumulative, so following each round, the scores are set back to zero. The poet with the highest score in the second round is declared the winner. If there's a tie between two poets after the second round, the two will compete one last time, and the winner will be declared by gauging the audience’s applause. 

The event will be hosted by Sullivan and graduate student Andrea Sterling. Music will be provided by the Bloomington-based DJ Good Peoples. This performance will also feature poet Joseph Harris.

According to the Bishop’s website, Harris has been writing and performing poetry for more than 15 years and started participating in poetry slams in 2002. He is currently a Ph.D. student studying education at Michigan State University.

Anyone 18 or older is permitted to attend the event. Performers should arrive by 8:30 p.m. to sign in. The price to attend is $5.