bloomington

New city parking rates, hours now in effect

spec-parkingmeter3.jpg

Changes to city parking operations, including increased parking rates, lengthened hours and higher citation fees went into effect Jan. 1. 

The changes were based on recommendations by Desman, a national parking specialist. The company’s June report found Bloomington did not have a parking shortage, but lacked revenue to maintain parking operations. 

Many of Bloomington’s rates and regulations have not been changed in ten years, according to a memo from Jim Blickensdorf, chairperson of the city’s parking commission. 

The changes

On-street parking at metered spaces and lots now opens at 8 a.m., one hour earlier than before. Free parking is no longer available at municipal lots, except for 250 spaces at select locations. 

On-street metered parking is still $1 an hour and free on Sundays and city holidays. 

Free parking in garages on Fourth Street, Seventh Street and Morton Street was reduced from three hours to one hour. 

The Desman report identified the three hours of free parking as a major revenue drain.

As part of the city’s effort to streamline parking operations, all three garages will now have the same enforcement hours. They will be monitored from 8 a.m. Monday until 4 a.m. Sunday. 

The cost to park in a garage space remains 50 cents an hour. Free parking will expire at these garages Jan. 1, 2021. 

The Fourth Street garage closed Jan. 2 for four to six months of repairs. 

The cost of each type of garage parking permit has increased, and will increase by 3 percent every year. 

The citation fee for class B traffic violations, including overtime parking at a metered space, increased from $20 to $30. The fee could reach $60 if the citation is not paid within 14 days. 

Changes to neighborhood zones and residential parking permits will take effect in August. Parking permits for Collins Living Learning Center and eligible greek houses will increase from $25 to $103. These permits expire on Aug. 15 each year. Purchasing a commercial all-zone parking permit will also cost $103, up from $55. Both rates will increase by 3 percent each year.

The updated ordinance includes the added position of a Parking Services Director to oversee the parking system. A complete list of parking rules can be found at bloomington.in.gov/transportation/parking.