sports women's basketball

Jorie Allen faces dilemma of which team to cheer for

jorieallenrecruit.jpg

IU women’s basketball commit Jorie Allen sat behind the Michigan State bench Sunday afternoon while proudly wearing a green No. 33 jersey.

It is certainly an uncommon sight to see, assuming it is not some devious form of recommitting, but that was not the case for Allen. Rather, the Bedford, Indiana, native was supporting her sister Jenna Allen, a senior forward for the Spartans.

“I’m definitely cheering both ways,” Jorie Allen said. “It’s really cool. My whole family is here supporting her.”

Jorie Allen is a five-star recruit and a key piece in IU’s No. 19 nationally ranked class according to ESPN.  Similar to what her sister showed she could do against IU, ESPN’s player evaluation described Jorie Allen as a “strong, fundamental interior prospect.” 

“It’s awesome having her there before me,” Jorie Allen said. “She’s a role model for me, having her give me tips.”

After considering IU, Michigan State, Purdue and Iowa, Jorie Allen decided to stay close to home and will be wearing her own cream and crimson jersey next season.

“Big Ten basketball is one of the best conferences in country,” Jorie Allen said. “Anywhere you go, you’re going to get good basketball and a good education. The people involved here, the players and the coaches, they made me feel at home.”

Jorie Allen said it was funny for her family to be decked out in Michigan State gear as they have always been IU fans. But to support her sister, there was no debate.

“It’s hard for them to be Michigan State fans, but they’re excited for me to be at IU next year,” Jorie Allen said. 

Jenna Allen scored 15 points against IU while collecting three rebounds in her team’s 68-64 loss.  

“Jenna Allen is playing at such a high level right now,” IU Coach Teri Moren said. “She was able to do it today probably in front of half of Bedford.”

Friends and family will not be able to see the two play against each other next season, but that is not something that Jorie Allen hangs her head about.

“I’m actually glad we’re not going to play against each other,” Jorie Allen said. “I have a feeling she’d foul me pretty hard.”