crime & courts bloomington

Second day of Glazebrook trial features video interrogation, more police testimony

Vaylan Glazebrook

The initial video interrogation and physical evidence were presented Wednesday in the second day of trial for Vaylan Glazebrook, who faces charges of attempted murder, rape, armed robbery and criminal confinement stemming from his 2014 arrest in Bloomington.

Glazebrook, an Indianapolis native who was 19 at the time of his arrest, is accused of breaking into an apartment on the 500 block of East 12th Street, sexually assaulting two of the IU students who lived there, stealing electronics and then shooting at a responding officer. 

In the video of the interrogation shown to the court, Bloomington Police Department Detective Scott Reynolds questioned Glazebrook about his reasons for being in Bloomington in the early morning of Nov. 9, 2014. He responded by saying he and his friends came down from Indianapolis looking for a party and that he did not remember anything because he had been drinking. 

Glazebrook told Reynolds he and his friends were asked to leave a party because they did not know anybody there.

Reynolds asked why, if he had gotten to the point of blacking out the night before, he seemed sober almost eight hours later. Glazebrook also told the detective the only thing he remembered clearly was being shot.  

“Shit, I’ll tell you this though,” Glazebrook says to Reynolds in the video. “I shot, but I didn’t know it was the police.”

Body camera footage of William Abram, the first officer who responded to the apartment and was shot, was shown in court Tuesday. The footage indicates the officer identified himself as police.

Upon being told by Reynolds in the interview that he would be charged with attempted murder, Glazebrook appeared incredulous, suggesting he was being accused of something he did not remember doing. 

“I told you,” Glazebrook says in the interrogation video. “I blacked out. I don’t remember half the night.”

Despite repeated attempts by Reynolds in the video to establish why Glazebrook had been in the apartment, he told the detective he did not know or would not say. 

Glazebrook spent much of Wednesday in court looking down or straight ahead with a blank stare. 

The other man Glazebrook is accused of engaging in these acts with, Michael Deweese, was handed a 109-year prison sentence in 2016 in connection to the same events.

Later on Wednesday, BPD officer Jordan Hasler testified that he helped Abram administer first aid to Glazebrook after he was detained.

Hasler said he stayed with Glazebrook at the hospital, and when he woke up, made an “utterance.”

“I know I did something wrong,” Hasler said Glazebrook told him at the hospital. “How long is this going to take? How many years am I looking at? I know I’ve got it coming to me, and I am going to take it like a man.”

Nyssa Kruse contributed reporting.