Holcomb declares disaster emergency for 11 Indiana counties

caemergency02.png

Eleven different Indiana counties are now in a state of “disaster emergency” due to widespread flooding and infrastructure damage from heavy rains, according to a recent press release from Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb's office. 

Gov. Eric Holcomb signed an executive order declaring the status of those 11 counties Saturday, Feb. 24. However, the declaration could be expanded to include additional counties if more flooding occurs, according to the press release.

The 11 counties, according to the press release, include: Carroll, Dearborn, Elkhart, Fulton, Lake, Marshall, Perry, St. Joseph, Starke, Switzerland and White counties. While Monroe county hasn't been declared a disaster emergency, Bloomington has also experienced heavy rainfall recently.

The executive order allows the Indiana Department of Homeland Security to provide expanded services and, according to the release, is a prerequisite for asking for federal aid. 

“This is an important step in helping Hoosiers around our state who’ve been hurt by this flooding,” Gov. Holcomb said in the release. “Our state agencies will continue to work hand-in-hand with local emergency management teams to help families weather the tragedies they are facing. I’m amazed by their resiliency. Looking ahead, we won’t hesitate to seek federal assistance if it proves necessary.”

caemergency01.jpg
Governor Eric Holcomb tours Goshen, Indiana on Feb. 23 with Mayor Jeremy Stutsman to learn about local flood damage and recovery efforts after declaring a disaster emergency in 11 Indiana counties. Courtesy Photo

Bloomington, while not in one of the 11 counties, experienced enough rainfall over the weekend to result in a sewer overflow in a number of areas around the north side of town, according a separate City of Bloomington press release.

Bloomington areas which have experienced sewer overflow, according to the press release, include:

-West Brookdale Drive and North Woodburn Avenue 

-1900 block South Walnut Street

-East Hunter Avenue and South Eastside Drive

-2700 block South College Mall Road

-1500 block South Rogers Street

-1200 and 1300 blocks South College Mall Road

-100 block West Grimes Lane

According to the Bloomington press release, residents in those areas should be careful and avoid contact with untreated sewage that has built up.

State agencies will continue to monitor the situation county-by-county in case of additional flooding.

Weather-related damage can be reported at http://bit.ly/2018rainfall

Dominick Jean