news   |   crime & courts

IU student found after being reported missing Saturday


IU senior Jordan Vielee was reported missing Saturday and hasn't been in contact with her boyfriend or family since Friday around 10 p.m. Both the Bloomington Police Department and the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department are investigating the case because Vielee's phone was last located near the Greenwood Municipal Airport. Courtesy Photo Buy Photos

UPDATED: Jordan Vielee has been found, according to her boyfriend Logan Storey and IU director of media relations spokesperson Chuck Carney. She is safe with her family, who is undertaking her well-being, according to Storey. 

This story will be updated. For more information see here.

IU senior Jordan Vielee, 22, was reported missing at 4 p.m. Saturday, 21 hours after she was last seen.

Vielee’s boyfriend, Logan Storey, said he called Bloomington police after she missed a meeting in Marion, Indiana, and failed to show up to work at Rockit's Pizza in Bloomington the next day.

Storey said he last saw Vielee pulling out of their apartment by College Mall in her 1999 champagne-colored Chrysler Concord at 7 p.m. Friday. The car’s license plate number is 592MJS, he said.

Storey said Vielee left for Marion to buy an orange cat from someone she had been messaging online. The person who owned the cat last heard from Vielee at 5:15 a.m. Friday, he said.

Click here to explore the map fullscreen. 

Vielee also did not respond to the cat-owner, who asked where they would meet that day, Storey said.

James Vielee, Jordan Vielee's father, said he was one of the last people to talk to her when he called her at 9:34 p.m. Friday.

He said he heard someone approach her car before she said, "Yeah I'm looking for an orange cat." He said the call ended after that.

 Vielee said he tried to call his daughter back at 9:44 p.m., but she did not respond.

IU junior Nova Richardson, Vielee’s roommate, said she last saw Vielee active on Facebook around 10 p.m.

Storey last heard from her at 10 p.m. when she texted him.

Storey said Vielee works at Rockit's Pizza until 5 a.m. Saturdays. When he did not hear from her early Saturday morning, he said he assumed she was still at work.

By 3 p.m. Saturday, Storey said he called her family members and friends to see where she was. He said none of them had heard from her after 10 p.m. Friday.

Storey then filed a report with the Bloomington Police Department.

The BPD did not respond for multiple requests for comment Sunday afternoon.

Vielee said he also filed a police report with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department sometime between 3 and 6 p.m. Saturday.

He said he realized something was wrong when he woke up to a message from Storey asking if he had seen Jordan Vielee.

Richardson said Vielee’s phone last pinged at 8770 Shelby Street by the Greenwood Municipal Airport.

Storey said he went to this address and drove around looking for her for four hours before leaving at 5 a.m. Vielee said he combed through nearby highways.

He said officers from IMPD also searched the area and said they would start the case Monday.

Storey said it is important for people looking for her to understand that she may be emotionally unstable at the moment.

“She’s going through a rough patch,” he said.

Storey said he last saw her wearing a black-and-white horizontal striped knee-high skirt, dress shoes, a black beanie and his light blue jean jacket that he had let her borrow.

Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.

More in News

Comments powered by Disqus