Friday rundown: hurricane aftermath, IUFB changes, Japanese Breakfast performs, Hoosier Hills Food Bank Book Fair

Morning rundown

Puerto Ricans in Bloomington discuss continuing problems after Hurricane Maria

Nearly one week after Hurricane Maria devastated the island of Puerto Rico, residents are still trying to get the basics of food, water, gas and money from banks. Much of the damage done was to electrical wires, fallen trees and flattened vegetation, in addition to wooden home roofs torn off. 
Nearly one week after Hurricane Maria devastated the island of Puerto Rico, residents are still trying to get the basics of food, water, gas and money from banks. Much of the damage done was to electrical wires, fallen trees and flattened vegetation, in addition to wooden home roofs torn off.  Tribune News Service

An IU professor is hosting her niece in Bloomington after she left Puerto Rico to escape storm damage. Natalia Medina said despite Trump’s claims the government has spent a lot of money on relief for Puerto Rico, the island is struggling to recover financially. She and her aunt say the United State’s response to the natural disaster has been slow and inadequate. Read more here.

IU feels like a new football team entering mid-season stretch

It’s already been an eventful season for IU football. Just over a month into the 2017 campaign, IU has already lost a star wide receiver, canceled a game, scheduled a new game and changed its starting quarterback. Read more here.

Japanese Breakfast performs at Bishop

Michelle Zauner of Japanese Breakfast performs Thursday night at the Bishop Bar. Zauner, who also performs with Little Big League, released her second album as Japanese Breakfast, "Soft Sounds from Another Planet," on July 14. 
Michelle Zauner of Japanese Breakfast performs Thursday night at the Bishop Bar. Zauner, who also performs with Little Big League, released her second album as Japanese Breakfast, "Soft Sounds from Another Planet," on July 14.  Victor Gan

Michelle Zauner, the creator of the indie-rock band Japanese Breakfast, headlined a sold-out show Friday at the Bishop Bar. Her newest album under the Japanese Breakfast name “Soft Sounds From Another Planet” was released July 14. Read more here.

Hoosier Hills Food Bank organizes annual book fair

Rullen Fessenbecker searches for books at the Bloomington Community Book Fair, hosted by Hoosier Hills Food Bank. Fessenbecker, who lives in Nashville, Indiana, has visited the book fair more than 10 times.
Rullen Fessenbecker searches for books at the Bloomington Community Book Fair, hosted by Hoosier Hills Food Bank. Fessenbecker, who lives in Nashville, Indiana, has visited the book fair more than 10 times. Xiaoan Guan

Dan Dabney walked into the commercial exhibit building at the Monroe County Fairgrounds with any empty tote bag slung over his shoulder and a black and gold baseball cap on his head. At first, his hat seemed to be a popular hat worn by Americans since the 2016 election season, but as he walked closer to others in the building, they could read the words more clearly.

"Make reading great again." Read more here.