IU feels like a new football team entering mid-season stretch

iufb10editedweb.jpg

The IU football season is only five weeks old, but the Hoosiers have packed a season's-worth of events into that period.

Blowout losses to the Big Ten's elite teams, No. 10 Ohio State and No. 4 Penn State, the loss of star junior wide receiver Nick Westbrook to injury and the cancellation and addition of games to the schedule have already happened to Coach Tom Allen's team.

As recently as two weeks ago, the Hoosiers faced questions regarding the rushing attack, although freshman running back Morgan Ellison has appeared to take over the starting role from junior Mike Majette.

IU has weathered all of this while managing a 2-2 record, with wins against Virginia and Georgia Southern. This weekend's game against Charleston Southern shouldn't test IU, but it will help decide the biggest issue IU has had to face so far this season, the play at quarterback.

The decision was made by Allen and company earlier this week to replace senior Richard Lagow with freshman Peyton Ramsey as the starting quarterback.

"We sit here 2-2 and got a chance to come back home, have a couple-game stretch here, very important for us to continue," Allen said. "Excited about moving forward with what Peyton can do at quarterback."

Ramsey's play against the FCS-level Buccaneers won't make or break his future as IU's starting quarterback, but the game will still be an important one for the Cincinnati, Ohio, native.

Leading into his first collegiate start, Ramsey is yet to throw more than 20 passes in a game for IU. He's twice taken over for Lagow in the first half of games this season, against Penn State and Virginia, but these appearances came when IU was still utilizing a two-quarterback system.

"He's now just a starter," Allen said. "He's gotta be ready to go."

Something that has allowed Ellison to take over the IU running game — and provided Lagow with the opportunity to seize control of the passing attack — is the recent stellar play of IU's offensive line.

The Hoosiers were clearly overmatched up front against Ohio State in a season-opening loss. But since then, IU has drastically improved its ability to open holes in the running game and protect the quarterback.

The elevated play of IU's offensive line has coincided with the return of junior right tackle Brandon Knight from injury.

"Brandon is super athletic," IU offensive line coach Darren Hiller said. "Brandon has experience, but the problem with Brandon right now is he's a little bit rusty with football. It's nothing mentally, it's just the fundamentals and techniques."

Saturday's game against Charleston Southern provides IU with the ability to either play or rest Knight and other starters working back from injury.

This balancing act could not come against a better opponent, either.

Charleston Southern gained just 33 yards of total offense in its only game against an FBS opponent this season, a 49-0 loss at Mississippi State.

This allows IU the freedom to rest whomever it chooses, while others like Ramsey can gain valuable game experience.