COLUMN: Turn your kitchen green: easy ways to be environmentally friendly at home and locally

farmersmarket.jpg

The push to be “green” and cut down on waste in all parts of daily life has become unavoidable in 2017. And with good reason: We’ve all recently witnessed how climate change exacerbated the effects of Hurricane Harvey as well as the fires rampaging along the West Coast. 

I understand how daunting the task of keeping our Earth healthy can seem when pushed on individuals by the news media and our government. Fortunately, so many simple habits that are easy to incorporate into daily life, even ones that you may already be doing, can help contribute to the bigger picture of environmental conservation. And, of course, a great place to start is the kitchen.

First, if you’re not recycling, what are you doing? Drop everything and request a bin from your sanitation service or find the nearest collection center. The City of Bloomington Sanitation Department provides recycling pickup free of charge on your regular trash day. It’s one of the easiest and most effective ways to cut down on your waste. Second, ditch plastic bags and paper towels as often as you can. I’m guilty of still relying on both of these more than I would like, but the little pinch of guilt I feel in my heart every time I toss one in the trash is strengthening my distaste for these products. Have a plethora of kitchen rags on hand, ready to mop up liquids or wipe down the counter, and try to reach for reusable containers more than plastic bags. 

One thing I love to do, because of its duality as environmentally friendly and fashion friendly, is supply my own reusable grocery bags. I own way too many cute canvas tote bags, and they are the perfect solution for cutting down on using plastic bags. In France, I would fold one up and carry it in my bag to have on hand just in case, as supermarkets don’t give out bags for free under French law. California has also passed a similar law that I hope to see other states follow, even though it is not without controversy. 

As I mentioned in a previous column, a great way to cut down on food waste is to freeze items that would normally have a short shelf life but can easily be reheated to the same quality as if they were fresh. One such item is bread, which can go bad in just a few days if not properly stored. I’ve been using the same loaf for a couple weeks now, and it tastes just the same as the day I bought it. Freezing fresh produce that might have been tossed soon and putting it in smoothies or soups ensures you don’t waste any money on expensive fruits and vegetables. 

Stepping outside your own kitchen, I want to highlight some Bloomington businesses doing their part in the effort to be eco-friendly. Just to name a few: Finch’s Brasserie, which supports local farms and Slow Food USA, an organization fighting for animal, human and environmental rights. Bloomingfoods is a co-op grocery with several locations around town that offer local, sustainably made products for all – with no membership necessary. Another fun way to support the local farming community is by going to the Bloomington Community Farmers' Market held every Saturday from April to November. 

I’ve barely scratched the surface on businesses in Bloomington that are making efforts to go green, and there are many out there doing a lot for the community and environment. Join in their efforts and take some small steps to be eco-friendly in your daily life.