Nearly all of area six residents sign petition against annexation

Region Filler

This is the fourth installment of a weekly five-part series profiling each of the seven areas proposed for annexation of Bloomington. This week covers area six.

Though many of the 15,000 new potential residents of Bloomington are not pleased to be considered for annexation, one area has taken the biggest step to stop the process.

At Wednesday’s city council meeting, area six resident and leader of the Area Six No Annexation Coordinating Group Scott Faris said he filed a petition with the city government for area six not to be annexed.

“We respectfully request that our signed petition now become a matter of record and that area six somehow be removed from the annexation proposal and voted down by the city council,” Faris said.

An area only needs 65 percent of its property owners to petition against annexation for it to be considered by the city government. Faris said his petition has 125 signatures, which is roughly 90 percent of property owners in area six.

Mayor John Hamilton proposed the addition of seven areas in and around the city of Bloomington last month, a total of 10,000 acres and 15,000 people. These seven areas, which are currently unincorporated, would be official parts of the city. City services do not currently extend to these areas, though Bloomington is the closest municipality to the people in the proposed annexation areas. If approved, annexation would take effect Jan. 1, 2020.

Hamilton said at his public proposal Feb. 3 the annexation “will allow all those households and businesses in the community to be a part of the same future of Bloomington.”

Area six residents have been vocal about their disinterest in being annexed since the announcement of the project. The first city council meeting regarding annexation had a significant portion of time taken up by public comment from area six residents protesting the proposal.

The area reaches out from the northeastern city borders to East Lanam and North Russell roads.

Area six would bring 269 new residents, 557 acres and 4.69 miles of county roads to the city.

The area is currently part of Bloomington township. Everyone in the annexed areas will see property tax increases. Bloomington township tax rates will reach to $2.03 for every $100 of property value.

Area six is the wealthiest area with many properties worth more than $1 million. The average home value in Monroe County is $158,700.

Adding area six to the city of Bloomington will cost between $353,334 and $392,646 for the first year, making the area one of the most expensive of the seven areas.

“Our hope is to have this resolved as soon as possible to minimize the time and cost put on all of us,” Faris said.

If you are not sure whether you live in the proposed annexation areas, look at our map at idsnews.com or go to bloomingtonon.in.gov/annex to search by name, address or parcel number.

——————————————————————————————————————

Public meetings and proposed scheduling for the rest of the annexation process

March 24 Public information meeting, 6 to 8 p.m. in City Hall

March 25 Public information meeting, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in City Hall

March 31 Notice of public hearings to be publicized and mailed to landowners

May 31 Public hearings on proposed annexations

June 28 Consider adoption of annexation ordinances and any fiscal plan updates

July 7 Notice of adoption of annexation to be publicized and mailed to landowners outlining the remonstrance process, if approved June 28. Landowners in the annexation areas will have 90 days from this day to file a petition against the annexation.

Oct. 6 Annexation ordinances could be eligible for recording and filing

Jan. 1, 2020 Annexation takes effect