Cherub prepares for pre-Valentine's Day show in Bloomington

Cherub, the duo behind such hits as "Doses & Mimosas," will perform at 9 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 12 at The Bluebird along with The Floozies.

A duo combining funk, dance, rock and electronic sounds will perform at the Bluebird Nightclub as part of the bar’s upcoming lineup.

Cherub, made up of musicians Jordan Kelley and Jason Huber, will perform at 9 p.m. Feb. 12 in the venue alongside the Floozies as part of the “Your Girlfriend Already Bought Tickets Tour.”

“Bloomington was one of the first places we ever went on tour,” Kelley said. “I enjoy the town – we always know it’s going to be rowdy for the show and after the show, you can’t really ask for more.”

Cherub is known for hits such as “Doses & Mimosas,” which achieved 41 million Spotify streams. The duo is signed with Columbia Records and has also released “Bleed Gold, Piss Excellence.”

Both Kelley and Huber starting playing music on their own before uniting at Middle Tennessee State University to form Cherub, Kelley said.

“I got started playing music in third grade because I liked the way electric guitars looked and thought, ‘Man, I should start playing,’” Kelley said. “When I met Jason I thought, ‘Man, he’s a pitcher, he’ll throw the ball.’ I knew I would catch his pitches.”

For Huber, the motivation to play was something that came from a moment of film-based inspiration, he said.

“I wanted to teach myself how to play the theme song from the movie ‘The Rock’ with Sean Connery, that was literally the first thing I taught myself to play myself on the guitar,” Huber said.

The inclination to keep playing is one that is rooted in a passion, Kelley said.

“Sometimes I just keep playing because I literally can’t stop,” Kelley said. “Sometimes I keep playing because of the people, and sometimes I keep playing because of my family. Most importantly I keep playing for myself.”

Inspiration is what keeps Huber interested in the art, he said.

“I always call it ‘the thing that keeps me up at night’ – there’s this little bug in the back of your brain that puts ideas in there when you’re trying to sleep, and you have to stay awake and figure out what those ideas are,” Huber said. “It’s a little thing that won’t leave you alone in a good way.”

The Floozies and Cherub have often played the same festival venues, though Huber said they have not performed together yet. Huber added that Cherub looks forward to the opportunity to share the stage and make magic.

“We’re all part of a large group of friends that would see each other at all these festivals, kick it backstage, spitball back and forth about making music or going on tour together,” Huber said. “It’s hard to actually get the a chance to link up. We’ve been talking about putting together a tour with the Floozies for years. As far as our fan bases, it’s all the same people that all like going out and listening to good music and going out and having a good time.”

Kelley said the show will be a fun and valuable experience for anyone who wants to enjoy good music and good company.

“For anybody that hasn’t come to our shows, I promise 100-percent attention to everyone that’s in the crowd, I promise 100-percent effort from myself, and I promise 100-percent dedication for my show,” Kelley said. “Altogether, that’s 300 percent. That’s three times as much as tests in school. If you come to our show, I promise that our show will be more valuable than your college education. If that’s not the best class you’ve ever taken, I don’t’ know what is.”