COLUMN: Street style is alive and well in Bloomington

entfashion

Throughout fashion month, the buzz about what was worn on the street was perhaps just as popular as the talk of the runway. From electric blue velvet blazers worn on the intersections of New York City streets to patent leather coats and vibrantly colored miniskirts in London, street style takes on an entire genre of its own in the fashion world.

While Bloomington may not have its own week dedicated to apparel, there are a fair share of fashionistas killing the B-town street style game. IU seniors Claudia Di Capua and Madeline Thune have been making their eclectic tastes in apparel known all over campus as well as on their own fashion Instagram 
accounts.

Capua began to make her signature style visible to a broader audience in 2014 when she started her personal blog as a sophomore in college. Claudia Di Capua’s Instagram bio for her account @thefashionattraction says all one needs to know in order to understand her taste in attire: “Where street style meets minimalism.”

Keep in mind that minimalism most certainly shouldn’t be mistaken for lacking originality.

Like many street-style daredevils in New York, London, Milan and Paris, this blogger doesn’t fear unexpected matchups. One of her most recent looks released on Instagram paired the crazy-popular Adidas sneakers with a long, beige, knit dress that came past the knees. The outfit was only complete with her favorite piece of clothing, her leather jacket.

What Capua said she started on a whim has led to over 2,000 Instagram 
followers.

While some people may find picking out an outfit for the day to be a chore, perhaps it’s Capua’s contrasting perspective that keeps her blog thriving.

“I like that you can show your personality through what you wear,” Capua said. “It’s your chance to try out new things or feel good in what you’re wearing.”

While Capua clearly defines her minimalist aesthetic on the streets and on her blog, Madeline Thune said she likes to change up her style on a daily basis.

“Currently it’s a mix of bohemian, minimalist, edgy and eclectic,” Thune said. “Depending on the day, occasion or location, my style is something that’s never going to be the same day in and day out. Fashion is never concrete, and that’s what I love about it.”

Thune’s Instagram account, @DressedINBlonde, provides evidence to back up this statement. The fashionista’s outfits on the streets vary from wearing printed jungle-esque pants to sporting her mother’s 15 year-old light-wash denim jacket. Whether it’s something new or something borrowed, the limit does not exist when it comes to Thune’s closet.

While Thune shares her fashion sense and expertise on Instagram, she said it’s the same place she continues to find inspiration for her own wardrobe.

“The people who really influence or inspire my style are always changing,” Thune said. “It’s fun to discover new people, bloggers and designers that are trying to make a name of themselves. Instagram is great for finding inspiration because it is so instantaneous.”

While the two fashionistas’ time flaunting their own artistic flair through apparel on campus is coming to a close, continue to keep an eye out for these two. Their unique taste in fashion is certain to continue dominating the street style scene wherever they strut next.