politics

Local democrats launch African-American caucus

Local Democrats have launched a Monroe County chapter of the Indiana Democratic African-American Caucus.

The IDAAC will meet on a monthly basis, strive to increase representation of African-American voters at the polls and raise the participation of African-American leaders in the local Party, according to a Monroe County Democratic Party press release.

“Many people are unaware of this, but there is a small but engaged African-American community in Monroe County,” said Nicole Bolden, Bloomington City Clerk and one of the organizers of the IDAAC. “I am thrilled to work with other leaders within our community to ensure African Americans are involved at every level of Democratic politics.”

Because African-Americans are underrepresented in politics, IDAAC will be a vehicle that allows members to be politically active in a more visible manner, Bolden said.

It’s time African-Americans had a larger voice, she said.

Mark Fraley, Chairman of the Monroe County Democratic Party, said he is excited that Democrats are organizing and expanding the party base.

[Monroe Country Democratic Party starts local efforts with rally | IDS]

“The African-American caucus will fill a vital role in building our party and continuing to move Monroe County in the right direction,” Fraley said in the release.

The IDAAC’s sole political focus differentiates itself from other groups such as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Bolden said. The IDAAC will work within the Democratic Party to bridge the gap between public education and political action, she said.

The IDAAC will work not just in Bloomington, but across Monroe County, including at Indiana University, Ivy Tech Community College and local high schools to engage and educate the entire community, Bolden said.

Bolden said the IDAAC has a three-point plan for the remainder of the year. First, the group will work on voter registration until the Oct. 11 deadline. Second, the IDAAC will educate members on who the candidates are and where they can vote.

The caucus also wants to raise awareness that people awaiting trial and not currently serving a sentence following conviction can still vote through absentee ballots, Bolden said.

Third, the IDAAC will work on getting out the vote, Bolden said. A major issue is transportation and making sure voters have a plan to either vote early or the day of the election, she said.

The goal is to coordinate with the Democratic Party and ensure that everyone who wants to vote gets to vote, Bolden said.

Valerie Hosea, Bloomington resident and caucus member, said that a group like IDAAC in Monroe County is vital today, particularly with the upcoming presidential elections.

“At a day and age in which the Republican nominee for President scores political points by insulting minority voters, I can’t think of a more important time to engage African-American voters in the Democratic Party,” Hosea said in the release.

Looking to the future, Bolden said she would like to see the IDAAC encourage local people to become politically engaged in whatever way they can.

Everyone is busy, but they key is to figure out where there is room in your life to be politically engaged, Bolden said.

“It’s a matter of what can you do and how can you fit it into your life,” Bolden said. “The caucus is here to support whatever you can do.”