politics

Monroe County Democratic Party starts local efforts with rally tomorrow

Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton speaks at the Douglass Park Gymnasium in Indianapolis on Sunday ahead of the May 3 Primary Elections in Indiana. Clinton spoke about a slew of topics including healthcare, foreign policy and drug addiction.

Supporters of former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid are kicking off their local campaign efforts with a rally at 6 p.m. Wednesday in Bloomington.

The rally will mark the official launch of the local Clinton campaign office located at 501 N. Walnut St. in Bloomington, according to a Monroe County Democratic Party press release.

The event will include remarks by Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton, Councilwoman Susan Sandberg, convention delegate and local businesswoman Jeanne Smith, IU Maurer School of Law Professor Dawn Johnsen and other local leaders.

[College Democrats at IU endorse Clinton for president | IDS]

“We are all very proud to be a part of this historic campaign,” Johnsen said in the release. “Bloomington volunteers are eager to be messengers for Hillary’s inclusive, progressive agenda.”

The Bloomington for Hillary office will also include campaign offices for John Gregg, Glenda RitzEvan Bayh and local Democrats.

Gregg is running against Republican candidate Eric Holcomb for governor while Ritz is running against Republican candidate Jennifer McCormick for the Indiana State superintendent of Public Instruction.

Bayh, a former Indiana senator, is running against Republican candidate Rep. Todd Young, R-9th District, for the one open U.S. senate seat.

[Congressman Todd Young addresses College Republicans | IDS]

Local organizers are planning canvasses, phone banks and voter outreach efforts that will be coordinated out of the shared headquarters, according to the release.

“The enthusiasm behind this grassroots campaign is profoundly energizing,” former state senator and Indiana Delegation Chairwoman Vi Simpson said in the release. “The passion of local activists will help elect Democrats up and down the ticket in 2016.”

Interested participants can RSVP to the event at the Hillary Clinton campaign website.