Indiana women recognized for greatness

Nine women were selected as Torchbearer recipients, recognizing women of Indiana who have been pioneers throughout 
their lives.

The Indiana Commission for Women honored the recipients of the 2016 Torchbearer awards Sept. 21 at its annual ceremony at the Indiana Historical Society in Indianapolis, according to an Indiana Commission for Women press release.

This year’s Torchbearer Awards Ceremony also celebrated the Indiana Commission for Women’s 20th anniversary and was recognized as a legacy project by the Indiana Bicentennial Commission.

The women selected are considered beacons of light and their stories of courage, perseverance and compassion create a lasting legacy and inspiration for everyone, according to the release.

This year’s Torchbearer recipients are Dr. Linda Bennett of Evansville, Indiana; Tina Cardarelli of Westfield, Indiana; Susan Hardwick of Newburg, Indiana; Ann Manion of South Bend, Indiana; Kelly McBride of Indianapolis; Indiana State Treasurer Kelly Mitchell of Indianapolis; Julie Rizzo of St. John, Indiana; Kitty Rose of South Bend, Indiana; and Helen Seirp of Vincennes, Indiana.

In addition, Tina Cardarelli received the Keeper of the Light Award, according to the release.

This award is given to a woman who is an unsung heroine and has persistently worked to improve her community, according to the release.

Dr. Linda Bennett received the Trailblazer Award, which is given to a woman in recognition of her pioneering contributions that have blazed a trail for other Hoosier women.

Moreover, Susan Hardwick received the Lifetime Achievement Award for her significant and fundamental contributions to moving Indiana women forward, according to the release.

The Lifetime Achievement Award signifies that Hardwick’s contributions have had a lasting effect on Indiana and have demonstrated a lifetime commitment to women’s progress in society.

The mission of the Indiana Commission for Women is to understand the needs of Indiana women and their families and to work strategically both within government and in our communities to help bring about positive solutions, according to the release.