COLUMN: Hoosiers need to get running game back on track against the Spartans

spiufb

Malik McDowell is a menacing figure.

The junior Michigan State defensive tackle is a game-changing force on the Spartan defensive line.

Projected as one of the top NFL Draft prospects, he wreaks havoc on opposing offenses. Last season against Maryland, he had eight tackles and 4.5 of them for a loss.

He only has 5.5 tackles and 1.5 for loss through three games this season, which isn’t as impressive, but those numbers don’t show the effect he’s had on opposing offensive lines that have had to account for him on each down and take bodies away from other Spartan defenders.

Last week against Wake Forest, IU only rushed for 115 yards, and Michigan State will be even harder to rush against with McDowell.

“The team we’re playing this week, they’re historically one of the premier defenses in the country, and they do it by having guys that can play locked man-to-man and loading the box and tough sledding in the run game,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “We’ve got to find run game because we got out-rushed last game. We’ve got to find balance that will be tough in the games we’re playing. We gotta find it.”

McDowell’s presence in the middle of the Spartan defense could necessitate the Hoosiers’ looking outside to wide receivers or running backs on quick screens to alleviate the pass rush and take numbers out of the box. IU could also jump start the running attack by utilizing its home run speed threats like sophomore wide receiver Nick Westbrook and freshman running back Cole Gest with jet sweeps.

An improved run game, and therefore balanced offensive attack, is critical to allowing junior quarterback Richard Lagow to come into his own and not experience another five-interception game like he had against Wake Forest.

“The quarterback looks good when the surrounding cast does their job, and he gets all the credit,” Wilson said. “When the surrounding cast don’t do their job, he’s the bomb. He’s a product of the group, and our group let him down, and he’ll do well. He should.”

Three of Lagow’s five interceptions came on third down. Running the ball more effectively on early downs will help take the pressure off of him.

The running game will also help alleviate IU’s problems inside the red zone. Against the Demon Deacons, the Hoosiers only scored on two of their five trips inside the 20. The numbers look worse when the Hoosiers cross the opponent’s 40-yard line. IU is ranked 110th in the nation in finishing drives per SB Nation, which ranks on average how many points a team scores after crossing the 40.

For a high-powered offense, those numbers aren’t good, and a reestablished running game would go a long way to help IU finish drives. The Hoosiers have talented running backs — they just have the play up to their potential.

Junior running Devine Redding only averaged 3.78 yards per carry against Wake Forest and 4.2 yards per carry against Ball State. He has to step up his individual performance as the Hoosiers head into Big Ten conference play. The receivers — junior Ricky Jones and sophomore Nick Westbrook — are stars on this offense.

Redding needs to establish himself as one.

If he doesn’t, McDowell will terrorize the Hoosiers all game long.