COLUMN: ​Donald Trump is not a true conservative

As the results from Super Tuesday have rolled in, it’s becoming increasingly likely that Donald Trump will be the Republican Party’s presidential nomination. As nominee, he will be the leader of America’s conservative movement.

As Trump continues his charge towards the nomination, he has successfully tapped into the ill feelings towards the government of many people. For me, that’s all he’s done thus far.

Its key, however, that these ill feelings towards the government are disseminated in an eloquent fashion, not just yelling and attempting to bully the party’s establishment. Yet, Trump has created a ruckus and bullied his way through the campaign and primary season so far.

As a candidate, it is essential to have set policies and beliefs. The GOP nominee should have legitimate ideas he or she conveys to the electorate. Trump has done little in this category.

Trump doesn’t have these policies or beliefs. Trump, like Hillary Clinton, has switched his party allegiances at some point in his life. Trump only registered as a Republican in 2009. In 2011, he dropped the party, and then reregistered as a Republican in 2012.

True conservatives should not be willing to gamble on their candidate’s principles. I’ve never once heard Trump discuss the need to decrease the size of government, or other central conservative principles I’ve heard the other candidates discuss at length.

There are certainly issues on which Trump has been outspoken and unwavering in his conservatism. Trump is and has been ardently pro-Second Amendment rights, and he’s been clear on this issue the entire campaign.

On the other hand, Trump also supports a single payer healthcare system, an inherently socialist belief. Trump has repeatedly claimed he would attempt to repeal Obamacare, but then praised the nationalized healthcare systems in Canada, Scotland and Great Britain.

If he was elected, I wouldn’t trust Trump to employ conservative principles. In my opinion, Trump has tried to bully his way to the nomination.

While his slogan “make America great again” may be iconic and tap into negative sentiments many Americans have, for me, Trump hasn’t offered any evidence he will do that. In fact, he has offered little substance whatsoever.

One way or another, I believe Trump shouldn’t be the GOP nominee and most certainly not the leader of the conservative movement. In my opinion, Sen. Marco Rubio, Gov. John Kasich or Sen. Ted Cruz would be much better suited for this role.

It is becoming increasingly likely Trump will be the Republican presidential nominee. If this is the case, the GOP establishment has some soul searching to do.

This election could be a serious tipping point in American history and the history of the Republican Party. I hope in 20 years, we don’t look back and wish we didn’t do more to stop the rise of Donald Trump.