Freshman wins nationals in 200 breaststroke

Junior Bailey Pressey swims the butterfly leg of the 400 yard IM on Friday night at the Hoosierland Invitational.

Five IU swimmers traveled to Washington to compete in the AT&T Winter Nationals, while the rest of the team remained in Bloomington to play host to the Hoosierland Invitational this past weekend.

In a series of competitions over three days, many Olympic trial qualifying times, NCAA “B” cut qualifying times, school records and career-bests were recorded for the Hoosiers.

In the nationals competition, freshman Lilly King’s time of 1:07.13 in the 100 breaststroke was good enough for an Olympic trials qualifying time and the second-best in IU history. She earned a silver medal in the 100 breaststroke with a school-record of 1:06.43, giving her the ninth place spot among all-time United States performers. King was the national champion in the 200 breaststroke, with a new age group record time of 2:24.47.

Sophomore Kennedy Goss finished eighth in the 400 freestyle “A” final with an Olympic trial cut time of 4:16.87. Goss touched for eighth again in the “A” final in the 200 freestyle. Another top-10 finish and Olympic trial cut time came from Goss in the 200 backstroke.

Freshman Miranda Tucker had an Olympic trial qualifying time of 2:15.41 with her third place finish in the “B” final of the 200 individual medley, making her the second-fastest in the event in school history. She finished sixth in the “C” final of the 100 butterfly and fifth in the “A” final of the 100 breaststroke for another Olympic trial time.

Sophomore Blake Pieroni placed sixth in the 200 IM for the “C” final, after an Olympic trial qualifying time of 2:04.10. In the 200 freestyle, Pieroni recorded the second-fastest time in IU history with another Olympic trial time, just .09 seconds off of the school record. Pieroni also placed second in the 100 freestyle, for another Olympic trial cut.

Junior Anze Tavcar had an Olympic trial qualifying time in the 50 freestyle with 23.15, ranking him as the fifth-fastest in school history. In the 200 freestyle, Tavcar won the “C” finals with an Olympic trial cut time, the fourth-best in IU history. He finished first in the 100 freestyle as well, for his final Olympic trial cut.

For day one of the Hoosierland Invitational, five more Hoosiers had Olympic trial qualifying marks in long-course meter program. Juniors Stephanie Marchuck and Jackson Miller in the 400 freestyle, junior Bailey Pressey in the 200 IM and sophomores Grace Vertigans and Ali Khalafalla in the 50 freestyle.

Top finishes to set school records belonged to the women’s 200 freestyle relay team of sophomores Kaitlin Kitchens, Gabriela Rajic, Ali Rockett and Vertigans with the sixth-fastest time in IU history. The men’s 400 medley relay team of junior Bob Glover, senior Tanner Kurz, junior Max Irwin and Khalafalla set the school record and had a NCAA qualifying cut time with 3:07.13.

NCAA B cuts for the women in the first day of competition were recorded from senior Haley Lips, Stephanie Marchuk, junior Gia Dalesandro, Pressey and sophomore Marie Chamberlain.

On the men’s side, NCAA B cut times came from Kurz, sophomore Cody Taylor, Irwin, Miller, senior Grayson Smith, freshman Adam Destrampe, sophomore Andrej Ivanovic, Khalafalla, junior Sam Lorentz and Glover.

In day two of swimming, 12 Olympic trials cut times were recorded with Pressey in the 400 IM, Dalesandro and junior Olivia Barker in the 100 butterfly, Marchuk, Lips and Miller in the 200 freestyle and Kurz in the 100 breaststroke. Chamberlain, sophomore Ryan Gordon, Glover, Khalafalla and junior Joseph Lane also had Olympic trail cuts in the 100 backstroke.

On the men’s, 200 medley team of Glover, Kurz, Irwin and Khalafalla had a NCAA qualifying time of 1:25.25, the second-fastest in school history. Smith had a career-best and NCAA “B” cut time in the 400 IM with 3:50.58, ranking him tenth all-time for school history. Sophomore Oliver Patrouch touched at 47.84 in the 100 butterfly for the tenth-best in IU history for another career-best and NCAA B cut time.

Additional NCAA B cut times were reached by Miller, Irwin, Kurz, Glover, and Lane. For the women, sophomore Sam Lisy, Dalesandro, junior Olivia Barker, Lips, freshman Laura Morley and Chamberlain qualified for NCAA “B” cut times.

During the final day of the Hoosierland Invitational, Olympic trial qualifying times came from sophomore Rachel Matsumura and Glover in the 200 backstroke, Khalafalla in the 100 freestyle, Kurz in 200 breaststroke, Barker and Irwin in the 200 butterfly.

Khalafalla had a school record in the 100 freestyle prelim with 49.46. Irwin swam for 2:01.47, giving him the fourth-best time in school history in the 200 butterfly. Miller also set a school record in the 1000 freestyle with his split in the 1,650 of 8:56.16.

The IU team had “B” cuts on Saturday from Smith, Lips, Marchuk, Chamberlain, Glover, Morley, Kurz, Dalesandro and the 400 relay team of Lips, Rajic, sophomore Holly Spears and Vertigans.