Kelley Institute for Social Impact brings speaker to campus

Traveling with her father, who was in the aviation business, Rania Anderson grew up in the Middle East and other parts of the world. Throughout her childhood, Anderson’s father told her the best gift parents could give to their children was an education.

After moving to the United States to continue her education at Oklahoma State University and Georgetown University, Anderson created the Way Women Work, an online guidance platform for women in growth economies.

Anderson will be visiting IU on Thursday to talk to international students and Friday to speak at the Social Impact Summit. Thursday’s event will be sponsored by the Kelley Institute for Social Impact, and Friday’s event will be sponsored by Net Impact.

“I think there’s a gap between what students learn at school and what they need to know and do to be successful at work,” Anderson said. “As much as I possibly can, I go onto college campuses to talk to students about specific things that they can do when they join the work force.”

Anderson will be speaking at 7 p.m. Thursday in Hodge 1000 to speak to international female students, although other students may attend.

She will talk about their transition when they go back to their home countries to start their careers. Anyone who attends will also get a free copy of Anderson’s recently published book, ”Undeterred: The Six Success Habits of Women in Emerging 
Economies.”

Anderson will be speaking from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday in Hodge 1000 and 1006to students who want to have a social influence in their careers.

She will discuss her own career journey and reference other people who have made the same transition. She will then tell students key things they can do if they envision themselves having a social influence during their career.

Ramesh Venkataraman, chair of the Kelley School of Business undergraduate 
program, and Lawrence Glaubinger, professor of business administration, said Rania will help students build momentum towards successful careers that positively 
affect the world.

At both of these events, Anderson will discuss the Way Women Work.

Anderson created the Way Women Work in 2010 as a platform for women in developing economies to get access to information that can help them further their careers, according to the Way Women Work website.

“I found in working with women around the world that most career advice that’s available in the marketplace is written from a Western perspective for Western women,” Anderson said. “It doesn’t always apply in all cultures and all markets.”

Anderson will also get the chance to speak about her book, the first career advice book written for college-educated women in emerging countries.

While researching for the book, Anderson interviewed more than 250 women of all ages in all different fields.

“I wanted the samples and the women I talked to to be relatable examples,” 
Anderson said.

She then na rrowed all the data she collected to six key things women in developing countries do to succeed in their careers.

“The book lays out both the stories and, very importantly, actions that women can immediately apply into their lives and their works to be successful,” Anderson said.

Although part of her work is helping women, the other reason Anderson does her work is because of her belief in the importance of women in the global economy, she said.

“For me ... I do what I do because I have a fundamental belief that the key to global economic prosperity today is women,” Anderson said.