COLUMN: Democrats make their case before Hispanic leaders

I had the honor and the privilege of attending the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute’s Hispanic Heritage Month Events this past week in Washington, D.C.

The CHCI, founded in 1978 by a small group of Hispanic members of Congress, is, today, the most important Hispanic nonprofit and nonpartisan leadership development organization in the United States.

Its mission is to develop the next generation of Latino leaders, and it simultaneously serves as a forum to discuss the most pressing issues affecting Hispanics across the country.

The CHCI’s Hispanic Heritage Month Events and its closing gala drew thousands of Hispanic leaders from across the public, private and nonprofit sectors. Also in attendance were those running to be the next president of the U.S.

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley, speaking at the CHCI’s Public Policy Conference, touched on his administration’s work on Latino issues, while reminding those of us in attendance that at one point in our history someone like him could not have been elected governor — back in the day when “Irish Need Not Apply.”

Senator Bernie Sanders, I-Ver., delivered a rousing speech following the governor, excoriating the stain of racism in America and highlighting his own father’s experience with it as an immigrant from war-torn Poland. Sanders condemned the rhetoric used against Latinos and underscored the need for immigration reform and rallying against an economic system that so often exploits immigrant workers.

Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton — presenting an award to celebrity chef José Andrés at the CHCI gala — went on to highlight the contributions Hispanics have made in the realms of food, culture, the arts and sports. The former first lady, senator and secretary of state emphasized the critical nature of cultivating the next generation of Hispanic leaders to combat the ugly rhetoric and extreme thinking that has bubbled to the surface this election cycle.

And separately — through sheer good luck — I heard Vice President Joe Biden at the Latino Victory Fund as he made an unannounced stop and addressed an intimate gathering of attendees. He echoed solidarity with our community and condemned the assault on our community’s character.

What these leaders all have in common is that they are running or will be 
running as Democrats.

Only one — just one — Republican addressed the CHCI: former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore. When he did, he also offended many by repeatedly using the term “illegal aliens” and showing little tact given those in attendance. At least he 
showed up.

Jeb Bush, married to a Mexican and father to biracial children, was nowhere present. Neither was Marco Rubio, the son of Cuban 
immigrants himself.

The Republican vacuum spoke volumes about the party’s priorities and the state of its relationship with the Latino community.

If the party wants the presidency they’ll need our community’s vote. Yet, it appears they’re in no rush 
earn it.

At the end of the conference, was their absence disappointing? Absolutely. Was it surprising? Absolutely not.